Skin bends/cutaneous DCS (imgs).

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you.
Timely, as I had a diver demonstrate the identical rash in association with shoulder pain while diving in Cocos.
The rash began to resolve after 20 minutes of oxygen.
He originally wondered if the rash was due to wet suit irritation, but in association with the shoulder pain it was clear it was part of his clinical syndrome.

Thanks, I'd often wondered if I had suffered a case on one of my deep dives but based on the image, it was only a birthmark.

Yep, that's what I looked like 2 years ago. Hurt like hell. And led to 3 rides in the chamber.

Happy to report I have just returned home from my first dive trip since my PFO closer in 10/2009, with no recurrence of symptoms! Woohoo!

Thank you. On a recent trip to Cocos I developed something on my stomach and was concerned that it might be skin bends. The DM assured me it wasn't and it was gone the next morning. Now I know what to look for.

Thanks Doc.

As an aside, there was a case of the bends on Royal Pains last week:
Hulu - Royal Pains: Medusa - Watch the full episode now.

I think clearly the esteemed NEJM is wrong in this case, because that's not at all what cutis marmorata looked like on the show :wink: . Of course, she got severe DCS from doing a recreational dive and blowing off her safety stops. Possible, but...unlikely.

Very intreresting. When I got bent last year my skin turned blue. It was like I was lightly bruised. I was told this was due to the capilaries breaking due to the nitrogen bubbles. Felt like I had been beaten with a rubber hose - or maybe a baseball bat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom