Skip PADI Master Diver and go for Rescue then DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I completed AOW and 2 specialty courses (Nitrox+Digital Photographer) and have 40 dives under my belt. Would it be better to go for Rescue Diver and get another 40-50 dives then go for DM training and skip the other 3 specialty courses? I have done 15+ deep dives and several night dives so I really don't see the value in paying $500+ to PADI to get the Master Scuba Diver rating. Rather, get another 30+ dives in, Rescue Diver and Dive Master would open more doors for me as a diver. Thoughts?

I completed AOW and 2 specialty courses (Nitrox+Digital Photographer) and have 40 dives under my belt. Would it be better to go for Rescue Diver and get another 40-50 dives then go for DM training and skip the other 3 specialty courses? I have done 15+ deep dives and several night dives so I really don't see the value in paying $500+ to PADI to get the Master Scuba Diver rating. Rather, get another 30+ dives in, Rescue Diver and Dive Master would open more doors for me as a diver. Thoughts?

The more important question is what is your reason for becoming a divemaster?

If its to work for a shop and/or route to instructor then that's great. If its just to become a better diver and continue training, the technical world is a much better choice. A professional rating is really just a liability and a window for lawsuits unless you actually want to be involved in teaching or leading dives on a boat.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Go rescue, you will enjoy it, learn a lot and decide from then.

r.

Why even apply for the MSD rating if it isn't something you want?

MSD isn't a certification level, it is only a rating.

Glad to see that you are not considering your 40 dives as being ready for DM even though that does fulfill that particular section of the pre-requisites.

I don't necessarily agree that the tec route is a better choice as Cave MD has suggested. It is another route. Not everyone wants to become a tec diver

Like the others have said. What is it that YOU want to achieve? Do you want to be lead fellow divers and help others learn the adventure? Then Divemaster is the way to go. If you want to just enjoy diving without being a professional the MSD is a great rating to achieve :)

Having a Divemaster license does not make one a master of diving.

If you're looking to do diving as a job, you will eventually need a DM license, however if you're looking to improve your diving ability, going through a Divemaster course will not do this. Divemaster is learning how to control groups of divers.

Rescue is worthwhile and as far as I know, Fundies is a much better skill based course than DM.

I would say don't waste your money on PADI MSD. Everyone I have talked to said rescue is a good course. DM really depends on what you want to do in your diving career. It is a course really that help you on the teaching ladder, not so much of a course that teaches you diving skill.

I don't necessarily agree that the tec route is a better choice as Cave MD has suggested. It is another route. Not everyone wants to become a tec diver
It will make you a better and safer diver regardless if you actually dive at the level trained to or only take the training for skills and gear refinement.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

if you choose" master scuba diver "you still need rescue.. You need 5 specialties and rescue to apply for it. If not going TEC and if not going pro just take whatever courses that interest you and go diving.
A DM cert does nothing for you if you are not planning to become an instructor. Don't get me wrong, you will learn something, but you will become a better diver by going diving not by taking classes on top of classes.
If you are taking classes just for the card and not applying what you learn in the class in your diving then its not worth taking the class.. A comment made was about deep course has no value to you. That is an indication to me that either the instructor did not show you how to use the information given you or you choose not to use it to get better at diving. same can go for navigation. Did the instructor show you how to measure out distances using time,kick cycles,air consumed,arm spans during the advance class? Do you use this information on EVERY dive to know at all times where you are and where your exit point is? Many certified so called DM's do not have this ability. I think you would be better off to stop with taking classes for now and just GO diving and apply the skills you have been shown so far, get real good at them and then choose what route you plan to go on.

Having done the MSD route (just never paid the 50 bucks for a piece of plastic) and then DM, I agree with Cave MD. I would have been much better off before DM taking some tech training. At a minimum Intro to Tech, and a mixed gas of some type. Or a real overhead (cavern, cave, ice, advanced wreck) taught by a knowledgeable instructor. I am glad that before I did my instructor training I did just that. Intro and Helitrox with NAUI Tech. It is my firm belief that a tech course of some kind should be a pre requisite for DM or Instructor. Either before or done at the same time. I think that if some of the DM's out there today had gone through the actual discipline, dive planning, and team skills necessary for most tech diving and the accident/fatality analysis that a good tech course does before actually going into the tech training itself, there would be less goofy stuff being done that puts new divers at risk. You would also see less of the unsafe practices that take place on open water training dives.

Even if you never go the tech route beyond the course the gear configuration training that takes place (beyond here use this as it looks cool, is new, and has a nice profit margin for the shop), the dive planning, gas management, additional rescue and first aid information, and deco theory would have a major impact on the new "professional" and make them less likely to accept BS.

And the risks that are often glossed over in recreational training would see more recognition. And become more real. I honestly think that diving as a whole would be better off. From tech training you'll get a sense that this is serious fun. And not to be taken lighly. THis weekend I'm doing a Catastrophic Disaster workshop with Steve Lewis at Dutch Springs. Basically imagine the worst, analyze options, and then test them in the water. There will be sidemount, rebreather, backmount doubles, and at least one single tank recreational diver. While I am doing this for my own education and enjoyment, there is also the added option of adapting it to purely recreational settings. It fits right in with the way I teach and the workshops I now offer.

And that is an additional option. Forget additional certification courses. Find workshops specifically targeting your interests. These are becoming more available as instructors realize that many agency courses in their coookie cutter format are not for everyone and there is no need for a card that says you did it. More and more divers want the knowledge and could care less about a card. And for some things you don't even need an actual scuba instructor. Just someone who is very good at what they do.

For example, you noted an underwater photography class. Was your instructor a pro photographer and do they use it to make a living or partial living? I have four people I refer students to for UW photo since I don't care to teach it and am not a good enough shooter to teach it. Two are not scuba instructors but do make a living with their photos. The two that are have been published in print and on the net and paid for their photos numerous times.

That is the training you look for from an instructor. I try to take a course, workshop, or other con ed every year. My agency requires me to. I also try to get a course or instructor outside my own agency. I want to see different approaches and techniques. I don't want my training and background to be the same, from the same agency, or from the same instructor as the instructor or DM next to me on the boat. That, to me, is boring and short sighted. Variety brings additional knowledge and techniques I can use in my own classes and pass on to other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom