Skip twinsets, go sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you explain this in more detail? I start my SM next month, but my configuration will have my long hose on the right, short (not as short as my BM) hose on the left on in a necklace like my BM.

I dive sidemount for wrecks and have completed the PADI (tec) and ANDI courses (to instructor level). Both courses taught long hose configuration (left tank). Air-sharing is as easy, if not more so, than with back-mount. I'm not sure what the problem is. I found that the muscle-memory transference with air-sharing was very straight-forward and instinctive.

There are issues with hose trapping, as there would be with back-mount + stages. For that reason, an S-Drill is preferable on each descent. Good instructors will teach that anyways... back or side mount..

Have you seen the UTD Z-system? I am guessing not. If sidemount is a useful ool nd has its purposes, then it is not a fad.

as of now, I haven't experience anything negative in a sidemount configuration, especially using the z-system.

Are you a "Z diver"? Personally, as a DIR diver who turned to sidemount, I looked at the setup when I started sidemount diving. I then realized that it adds more complexity to a simple system, all so you did not have to switch regs.

Have you seen the UTD Z-system? ... as of now, I haven't experience anything negative in a sidemount configuration, especially using the z-system.

Oh, thank you for bringing this up! I once read about the UTD Z-system, but forgot the name of the brand and could not find it anymore.

Yes, sidemount divers - what say you about this sidemount rig with a minifold? Is it superior, inferior of simply different? (I know I'm now hijacking the thread but I started it and may be forgiven.:) )

a. I'd like to dive in caves some day;

What size caves? If you intend diving decent sized caves with a buddy then backmount is less hassle.Also makes boat diving easier. If you plan on low caves and/or solo then sidemount is the way to go.

By the time you get to diving advanced caves involving deco,stages,maybe trimix ,you will have spent a fortune anyway. An extra manifold and wing is a drop in the bucket at that point!

Maybe consider buying a used doubles setup. If at some point you do decide to go sidemount, sell the bands and wing. Keep the tanks and valves. (just need a couple of plugs instead of the isolator bar) That would cost almost nothing in the long term.

Oh, thank you for bringing this up! I once read about the UTD Z-system, but forgot the name of the brand and could not find it anymore.

Yes, sidemount divers - what say you about this sidemount rig with a minifold? Is it superior, inferior of simply different? (I know I'm now hijacking the thread but I started it and may be forgiven.:) )

My answer is right above your post. I just do not see a valid need for the added complexity and failure points. Plus it being a low pressure manifold, you now have to shut down tanks that you don't want to breath from. The pro's do not outweigh the con's.

What size caves? If you intend diving decent sized caves with a buddy then backmount is less hassle.Also makes boat diving easier. If you plan on low caves and/or solo then sidemount is the way to go.

I have never dived a cave, so I don't know what I may like. Imaginative contemplation does not give me a great appeal for tight, snug caves. But I am definitely interested in Solo diving.

By the time you get to diving advanced caves involving deco,stages,maybe trimix ,you will have spent a fortune anyway. An extra manifold and wing is a drop in the bucket at that point!

Good reminder! When I was buying my first regulator, the coins got sweaty in my hand. And then I paid many times more for computers, drysuit, BP&W, lights ... and it felt ok.

Maybe consider buying a used doubles setup. If at some point you do decide to go sidemount, sell the bands and wing. Keep the tanks and valves. (just need a couple of plugs instead of the isolator bar) That would cost almost nothing in the long term.

Thanks, I'll think about that. My plan was to take a sidemount course with instructor's gear this summer and if I don't like it, then consider backmount. I just do not know whether this is viable as most divers start from backmount.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR GOOD COMMENTS!

As much as I like diving sidemount in the caves, to the point of diving nothing else since my initial sidemount class, given your location I would just go with the standard BM configuration. They are easier to deal with off boats, and require less fussing to get set up properly. I'm guessing that you're more likely to find potential team mates and instructors diving BM too. Switching to sidemount later on won't be hard if you need to.

It has been pointed out elsewhere on the forum that side-mount gives you the option to use 'off the shelf' rental tanks (e.g.: 80 cf aluminum tanks in Bonaire), whereas back mount often entails using a pair of personal 'dedicated' tanks bound by a manifold that makes swapping tanks inconvenient.

Depending on where & how you dive, the above may be a consideration.

Richard.

Or you can just use something like this and dive independent doubles on vacation.
Ultimate Velcro Double Bands Reviews and News by Capt. Dan Berg

Functionally independent doubles are the same as sidemount for gas management.

Easiest way of all to dive 2 tanks on vacation is backmount a single and sling a second 80.

I like back mount better than side mount. It's easier on a boat and hoses are more manageable. Plus I like having a manifold than two separate tanks. Plus with the three deco bottles I carry wih an argon bottle, it makes life so much easier. Maybe recreational side mount wouldn't be too bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom