Sky chick heading under

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caps1313

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a newish diver and found this because I had a question and wanted to see what people thought but can't post it yet...grumble grumble :) And now am discovering the neat little characters you guys have...anyways, hope I can get this Q posted soooon

Welcome to the 'board!!!
As an ex-sky diver (263 logged dives), you will total enjoy the underwater world too.... So differant but I love it more. So what is this question that you want to ask? We are here to help each other to grow and fall in love with SCUBA as most of us do. Enjoy your certification course and get wet with us!!!!!
:D

Ok, I mashed my T2 skydiving and had to find something safer. -enter tech diving. We are all waiting, what's the big Q???

Well I def do not plan to ever stop jumping!!! I love it much more than diving-most of the time lol. My question involves skydiving and diving. I understand it's fine to jump and then dive but knowing me I will come across a time where I will dive and then jump. Does the time needed between the dive and jump alter when going to a higher altitude say like 23,000agl? Or if it were a deep dive and then a high alt dive or even a deep dive and a normal alt dive which for most dzs I'm at is 13500 agl? Obviously these are none pressurized planes so I am curious if anyone has done a study on it...

I have not kept up on current standards, but in the late 1980's the US Navy expected 48 hours between your last dive and first flight in high performance aircraft. This was due to the potential for rapid climbs (i.e. rapid decrease in pressure) or the potential for sudden loss of pressurization and the potential to get bent.

The common advice for pressurized commercial aircraft is 24 hours, but that assumes an 8,000 ft cabin altitude in most cases. 23,000 ft is a whole different ball game.

At 8,000 ft you still have about 0.43 atmospheres of pressure (about 6.2 psi). In contrast at 23,000 ft you have only got about 0.045 atmospheres of pressure (about 0.65 psi). If you've been diving anytime in the recent past, you are going to have a whole lot of bubbling going on even if you are on supplemental O2.

13,500 ft is not much better. The pressure is around 0.20 atmospheres (about 2.9 psi) - only half of what you have at 8,000 ft, so you still need to pad it a bit over the 24 hour recommendation for 8,000 ft. If you decide to do it with less than a 48 hour surface interval, I'd pre-breathe O2 for a few hours before the flight.

Well I def do not plan to ever stop jumping!!! I love it much more than diving-most of the time lol. My question involves skydiving and diving. I understand it's fine to jump and then dive but knowing me I will come across a time where I will dive and then jump. Does the time needed between the dive and jump alter when going to a higher altitude say like 23,000agl? Or if it were a deep dive and then a high alt dive or even a deep dive and a normal alt dive which for most dzs I'm at is 13500 agl? Obviously these are none pressurized planes so I am curious if anyone has done a study on it...

Funny you should ask, wrote some homebrew software to answer a similar question. Bottom line: YES! IT MAKES A BIG, DANGEROUS DIFFERENCE! Note on the attached image the difference in available backgas (as cuft) goes from 77 to 90 with a pressure change of 760mm to 700mm. Not a direct answer to your question, but extrapolates to an answer. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't even think of getting into an unpressurized plane for at least two days after any reasonable nitrogen loading. -don't forget about your slow tissues and osteonecrosis:

The lesion begins as a random finding on x-ray without symptoms. Symptomatic lesions usually involve joint surfaces and fracture with attempted healing occurs. This process takes place over months to years and eventually causes disabling arthritis, particularly of the femoral head (hip). Bone and Joint Problems Search Rubicon if you need more...

Stay healthy and happy,
lowviz

Thanks guys! This helps a lot. My instructor didn't quite know what to tell me on the topic. I'll make sure and give it 48 hours

Welcome to ScubaBoard. At least if you land in the water you won't crash and burn...

I have not kept up on current standards, but in the late 1980's the US Navy expected 48 hours between your last dive and first flight in high performance aircraft. This was due to the potential for rapid climbs (i.e. rapid decrease in pressure) or the potential for sudden loss of pressurization and the potential to get bent.

The common advice for pressurized commercial aircraft is 24 hours, but that assumes an 8,000 ft cabin altitude in most cases. 23,000 ft is a whole different ball game.

At 8,000 ft you still have about 0.43 atmospheres of pressure (about 6.2 psi). In contrast at 23,000 ft you have only got about 0.045 atmospheres of pressure (about 0.65 psi). If you've been diving anytime in the recent past, you are going to have a whole lot of bubbling going on even if you are on supplemental O2.

13,500 ft is not much better. The pressure is around 0.20 atmospheres (about 2.9 psi) - only half of what you have at 8,000 ft, so you still need to pad it a bit over the 24 hour recommendation for 8,000 ft. If you decide to do it with less than a 48 hour surface interval, I'd pre-breathe O2 for a few hours before the flight.

Your numbers are way off. Way, way off.

At 8000 ft, pressure is 0.74 atm. At 15000 ft, still have 0.56 atm. At 25000 feet, 0.37 atm.

Your advice is still sound.

Here's a navy chart, but only for use under 10000 feet. The column on the left is the maximum nitrogen exposure, from dive tables. Extrapolating from this, I wouldn't be going to 13.5 the next day, or really high for a couple of days.

http://www.ndc.noaa.gov/pdfs/AscentToAltitudeTable.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom