SLAM and LiDAR Cave Mapping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minimal Mayhem Jas does this mean anything to you following our conversation about AL

Hi Addison
I was reading your article and it is of a lot of interest for me.My name is Kevin and I live in the small island of Malta in the Mediterranean so we are quit far away. I have always wanted to scan and 3d model the huge number of submerged caverns and small caves we have around the island and this system looks like could be the solution.
Would it be possible to get se more detailed information from you about the full process?
If you can it would be greatly appreciated.
Welldone once again.. And I look forward to be in touch with you.
My email creativeshot@mail.com
Hope to speak soon

@mariosx @Addison Snyder my group has been working on similar stuff in a slightly different context. Some of our collaborators have recently published some papers in ISPRS (see ISPRS-Archives - FROG: A PORTABLE UNDERWATER MOBILE MAPPING SYSTEM) that might be worth looking at. The next ISPRS conference is in June in Las Vegas, and there may be some discussions of relevance there.
Pretty nice reconstructions you got there... This conference indeed was not in our radar.

I have switched focus more on aquaculture applications at the moment, but if you are interested I recommend checking with Dr. Rekelitis group. Also in my current group we are interested on benthic monitoring but unfortunately, I have left the US and international collaborations are a bit more challenging funding-wise.
I ll check your work more carefully and I would send you a pm if I have any questions, assuming you don't mind. :)

I've talked to Dr. Rekelitis here in Gainesville. Pretty similar stuff to what I'm working on, but their component list is definitely in the five or six figures range. Particularly their forward scanning sonar reliance. Time will tell if it transforms into a more replicable and accessible solution. Still really cool stuff though.

Back
Top Bottom