Slates - ten reasons why we don't use them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, so away you go. Why don't we use slates the whole time?

A distinguishing feature of human's advanced capabilities is our ability to communicate using language. This being the case, why aren't dive slates par for the course? Any time I've seen one used I've thought - that makes total sense and now I know exactly what I'm being told/what the issue is/what I need to do. Yet I see them in action extremely infrequently. What are the ten things I'm missing????

Personally, I own several different types of slates, from small wrist mounts to the newer "Etch a Sketch " variety. They are great for communication, when I have one. They are always one of those excess gear things I end up eliminating in the name of streamlining. I just find they get used so seldom that they become a hassle trying to find a true out of the way place to stow one.

A distinguishing feature of human's advanced capabilities is our ability to communicate using language. This being the case, why aren't dive slates par for the course? Any time I've seen one used I've thought - that makes total sense and now I know exactly what I'm being told/what the issue is/what I need to do. Yet I see them in action extremely infrequently. What are the ten things I'm missing????

I used to use a slate on every dive but I find as I dive with regular buddies I just don't need it. We rarely encounter things that can't be communicated through hand signs. When we did wear the slates I never used them for anything important anyway. Others may differ but that's just what I've found. Perhaps it might be handy if you were diving with new people all the time? Even then I'd suggest getting wetnotes and then you can have a bunch of things prerecorded that are likely to come up.

Now I just take a slate if I need to put a dive plan on it or if I have to do complicated navigation as then I can record all my bearings.

P.S. Do you want my old slate?? :) I have a spare.

Why don't we use slates the whole time? A distinguishing feature of human's advanced capabilities is our ability to communicate using language. This being the case, why aren't dive slates par for the course?
I can think of several reasons why slates may not be used as frequently as they should. 1. They may be somewhat difficult to store. Do you clip them to your BCD and have them dangle? Do you hold them throughout the dive (and sacrifice a free hand)? Do you attach them (flat slates) with a loop around your wrist? Many of them do not fit easily into a BCD pocket (certainly, the bigger ones don't). 2. More than a few divers, not infrequently those who have some buoyancy control issues to still resolve, find it difficult to simultaneously write and swim. 3. Some divers may think they are just for beginners, and 'no self-respecting, competent diver really needs one. Agreed-upon hand signals are more than adequate.' Having said this, I use slates, DiveWrites, WetNotes, and/or a Halcyon Diver's Norebook REGULARLY - every dive. I dive with a wrist slate in all cases, I fit a DiveWrites (or equivalent) in the right thigh pocket on my drysuit, OR wetsuit (I had pockets installed on my wetsuit for that purpose), or I attach a clip to a flat slate and tuck it inside my BCD.

Ummm I love my slate. :D I write all sorts of things on it. Mostly navigational but also things I want to remember or take note of for later. Heck if I am with another spearfisherman, I may want to tell them to take note of some cobia that keep passing through or some other info they'd be happy to know. Anyway, mine goes in the side zip of my bag. To date, it has yet to break or take up much space.

If you do get one don't bother with any of the cleaners - they usually scratch and don't work well anyway. Buy a Arm & Hammer magic eraser sponge. Cut a corner off and keep it in your bag - doesn't matter if it gets wet. Rub that thing once or twice across the slate and voila - clean slate. :)

1) I'm here to dive. If I wanted to spend my time writing I'd take an english lit class.

2) Most of my dives are conducted with a buddy who is a close friend. A few simple hand gestures is all that's usually needed for us to communicate; things are pretty instinctive between us.

3) I like wetnotes better than slates. (semantics, but still...)

4) Since we started diving CCR we are able to "talk" into our breathing loop well enough to understand simple sentences.

5) Dive plans and contingencies are discussed during predive planning and briefing. There are seldom any deviations complex enough to warrant written instructions, although wetnotes are present on every dive, just in case.

6) People have hard enough time reading my writing above water, much less below.

Ummm I love my slate. :D I write all sorts of things on it. Mostly navigational but also things I want to remember or take note of for later.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Shore is that way ~~~>

:D

If we could hand-write extensively on one in small type, and it would be clearly legible for underwater viewing, that might be different.

On the other hand, watching my Instructor use one teaching OW students, I've seen that very few words get written at a time, so it doesn't quickly convey complex ideas. That, I think, is part of why slates don't live up to expectations for some folks.

And swimming around with a large one dangling off your BCD and adding to drag is a turn-off, too.

A big question is what do you personally find you and your dive buddies have to say to each other on the type of diving you do? In my experience, it's mostly:

1.) Hey, look at that (or come look at this)!

2.) How much air you got left?

3.) Here's how much air I got left.

4.) Let's go that way.

5.) Let's head back up.

Your mileage may vary.

Richard.

1) I'm here to dive. If I wanted to spend my time writing I'd take an english lit class.

as CD said

:rofl3::rofl3:
if I wanted to talk I would be in another sport :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom