Slave Sensor for Sea & Sea YS-60 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VAmtnguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am finally going digital after many years with a Sea & Sea Motor Marine II EX and YS-60 strobe. The YS-60 was hard wired to the camera. Does anyone know of a slave sensor that I could plug my YS-60 directly into to fire the strobe when the camera flash goes off ?? Of course, I realize that I won't have TTL capability, but I could use the full or 1/2 settings on the strobe, along with the aperture settings to adjust my exposure.

I really hate buying something new when something old would work. :(

I use the sensor larry linked to with my YS-60 and Nikon coolpix P5000 and it works great. In your case I think you'll need the one with the S&S connector not the Nikonos one.

If you're planning to use your old cord, get the other model for S & S. If you're going to get a new cord, you could use either. Sea & Sea Nikonos cords are about $100. If your Sea & sea cord hasn't flooded, you can use it, but as Randini says, you need the other model. Click the link and backtrack one click to see both models, the price is the same.

Thanks. I will give them a call.

My Sea & Sea strobes have never flooded, so I will check out the Sea & Sea connection.

I have a YS-60 ( and YS-30 and YS-300) and I have found a way to trigger them optically.
Get a IR photo diode and put it across the gnd and firing pins on the cable. Any sudden increase of light should trigger the strobe. If you can find a small enough diode then it may be possible to modify the stock clear cable cap to allow the diode to fit inside. I simply machined up a acrylic housing that accepts a plug at each end and mounted this in front of my cameras flash port.
I have trialed it in a pool in bright sunlight and it wouldnt trigger strobes unless I covered the pick up with my hand to shade it from the sun. Since then I put black tape over most of it except the part facing the flash. I did a dive yesterday and it worked faultlessly.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sea-sea-society/471311-hacking-ys60-strobe.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom