Sleaze in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Face it, the relationship most of you make is with the DM who takes you out. He, or she is glib, and bluntly most likely working on tips. They make take you out to dinner, you pay of course, and if they are really good they get a gringo to..."

Wow, I have no quarrel with the intent of the original post, but the above comment makes me feel like I imagine I would if I were hiring a stripper or something. I realize it's a transactional relationship, but could you please leave me the small illusion that at least some Cozumel DMs mostly like their jobs and see us as valid paying customers, not patsies or dupes just there to be milked like finned ATM machines?

PS, I was in Cozumel last week and heeded my better sense and did not ask for opinions/gossip about the whole Scuba Mau thing, despite having been a SM customer on a past trip. It's not that I'm not curious. But I can live without knowing.

"Face it, the relationship most of you make is with the DM who takes you out. He, or she is glib, and bluntly most likely working on tips. They make take you out to dinner, you pay of course, and if they are really good they get a gringo to..."

Wow, I have no quarrel with the intent of the original post, but the above comment makes me feel like I imagine I would if I were hiring a stripper or something. I realize it's a transactional relationship, but could you please leave me the small illusion that at least some Cozumel DMs mostly like their jobs and see us as valid paying customers, not patsies or dupes just there to be milked like finned ATM machines?

Yep, that's the one that got my hackles up. I tip and that's the end of it. I don't think I've ever bought so much as a Coke for any of the DMs at ops I've gone out with. I don't think most of them even drink alcohol. Most of these guys have families and need to spend their evenings with their spouse and kids, not out wining and dining divers. I did chip in once for supper for Jeremy (owner of Living Underwater) and his family when a group of us took them out to celebrate his birthday. His wife and I get together for shopping/lunch now and again (Dutch) as we have become personal friends. No boats purchased, no websites developed for them. Although sometimes I feel like I've spent enough money diving over the years to have made a decent dent in their kids' education!

BTW, until you've had a jalapeno y cucumber margarita at Wet Wendy's, you really haven't lived.

I must say I enjoyed that one the most, but I didn't try the Tamarind as cvchief suggested.

I must say I enjoyed that one the most, but I didn't try the Tamarind as cvchief suggested.
It was never offered to me. As it was, I asked our waiter for his favorite drink. His response was "I don't think you want that." I insisted and the owner sat down next to me to talk me out of it. I insisted further and was being cajoled by the Pollo Grande Tejano, Texas Torpedo. In fact, I loved it. When I travel, I always ask the waiter/waitress for their favorite drink and dinner. It's my way to try out different things as I am abroad. It's a great way to open your horizons (if you ain't a Pollo Grande Tejano!)

But I cautioned against having it as a meal. Appetizer is another matter.....
03.gif

Well... Alright then.... *cough* *cough*

Yep, that's the one that got my hackles up. I tip and that's the end of it. I don't think I've ever bought so much as a Coke for any of the DMs at ops I've gone out with. I don't think most of them even drink alcohol. Most of these guys have families and need to spend their evenings with their spouse and kids, not out wining and dining divers. I did chip in once for supper for Jeremy (owner of Living Underwater) and his family when a group of us took them out to celebrate his birthday. His wife and I get together for shopping/lunch now and again (Dutch) as we have become personal friends. No boats purchased, no websites developed for them. Although sometimes I feel like I've spent enough money diving over the years to have made a decent dent in their kids' education!

You need to get out more as I have seen countless DM's out with clients/perspective "Sugar Americans" many many times and overheard dinner conversations detailing such more than I can count over the years.

Fact: It happens.

So what though? Dave readily admits that very thing created Aldora, so who cares?

Why does everyone get their panties in a wad if someone so much as ACTS like they may speak ill of THEIR dive shop.....

Serious LOL.

I avoid filling appetizers. Leave more room for the best stuff. I really miss Texas pinto beans when I go to Coz or eat in a good MexTex cafe, but refried beans are good too. I may have to add 2# of lead tho, unless I take action: BEANO HOME

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom