Sling a 72

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Would it be ridiculous to sling a neutrally bouyant 72 for additional regular air on a deep dive?

Well, a "neutral" 72 will be about 5 lbs negative when full, so you'll have to cope with five pounds hanging off your side. You'll need another regulator and pressure gauge, with the failure points and additional expense that involves. You would also need a strategy for how you are going to use the stage.

Me, I'd buy a bigger single tank.

I was just throwing it out there. I ask because I have the tanks, extra regs and additional gauge. They're from a pony set up. Would it be ok to do, or would it be viewed like a 72 cf pony bottle? Emergency use only

Would it be ridiculous to sling a neutrally bouyant 72 for additional regular air on a deep dive?

Additional to what?

How deep?

How long?

Did you think of this on the surface or while breathing air on a deep dive?

:eyebrow:

Unless you are diving a back inflate BC, the extra weigh will tend to roll you. A good buddy and a solid gas plan are a lot lighter and less hassle.

If you need a 72 cu ft. pony then maybe you should rethink your dive strategy. If you're wanting it for extra bottom time, then it would be easier to move to doubles. Don't forget the proper training that goes with staying down longer (i.e. decompression, EAN, etc.)

Maybe a tad big.

I was just throwing it out there. I ask because I have the tanks, extra regs and additional gauge. They're from a pony set up. Would it be ok to do, or would it be viewed like a 72 cf pony bottle? Emergency use only

I think what is important here is how you are viewing the 72. Having extra gas (for redundancy) on a deep dive is great... but if it is being used to extend a deep dive, and this pushes you into a deco obligation, have you planned for it?

I think for use as a pony or stage, there are better options (less negatively buoyant options).

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Although I think an LP72 is not the greatest choice for additional gas (Al80s ride better) I'm not sure the idea is totally ridiculous.

If you want more gas to do a dive, the best choice is a bigger tank. Failing that, you need to decide the strategy you want to use for the gas you are carrying. I think a lot of people would say that you should breathe off auxiliary bottles first, so that your gas reserve for emergencies stays on your back, where you're unlikely to lose it.

Obviously, you need to evaluate the dive you are doing, as to its depth and duration and the risks involved. People DO dive independent doubles (which is in effect what you are doing) or sidemount (also two independent tanks). The issues are weight and balance, and having a pre-dive gas strategy. It's also important to be aware of the additional failure points you have taken on by doing this.

A guy I dove with started slinging 72s, I guess he figured if he had the tanks and was going to sling one anyway - might as well be a 72! Shortly after doing that, he started talking about going sidemount.

If you've got the gear and you want to, why not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom