small hole in valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awills101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
i went to my local dive shop to have my dip tube that fell off of the valve back on and he noticed a small hole where the threads are and he said he couldnt fill it, i looked at some pictures of valves and few had this hole. has anyone seen this? is it normal? the hole is about as big as this "o" (at least on my computer haha)

DIN valves will have a small vent hole at the base of the threads. This allows a place for the gas to escape in the event the o-ring blows out. Without the hole pressure could build up behind the threads when they are not fully engaged and cause a safety issue.

so with this being a k valve and can be switched between yoke and din the hole is normal?

Yes, I'm guessing your talking about a Thermo pro valve, or one like that.
It has a screw in insert that allows you to hook up a yoke regulator to the valve. You can unscrew the insert and then screw in a DIN regulator. Those valves are DIN valves, there is an o-ring on the back side of the screw in insert, just like a DIN regulator.

Here, check this link out, its a DIN valve
http://www.thermovalves.com/5264_thermo_din.htm

Look inside the thread at the very bottom, you can see the little hole that is drilled on the knob side of the valve.

Here, every valve but the yoke only valve at the top has the hole in it.

XS Scuba Thermo Stand Alone Cylinder Valves

The hole should be right at the bottom of the threads. Depending on the mfgr they could tap the threads deeper into the valve.

oh your talking about the hole where the din valve screws in, my valve has a hole on the threads that screw into the tank neck

Ok?
I have never seen that one, have not heard of that on Thermo Pro or sherwood valves.
There should not be any holes in the threads that screw into the cylinder.

How old is the cylinder? If the hole compromises the integrity of the tank (which it sounds like it does...), it may be a manufacturing error and can get some reimbursement for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom