small hole in valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How old is the cylinder? If the hole compromises the integrity of the tank (which it sounds like it does...), it may be a manufacturing error and can get some reimbursement for it.

the tank is less than a year old and has about 10 dives on it
and its not on the cylinder its on the valve threads.

could you possibly post a picture of the hole/threads so we could take a look at it? also, a tank less than a year old having that problem is very suspicious to me.

1. Manufacturer?
2. Steel or AL?
3. Has it been emptied or have you removed the valve other than to re-screw the dip tube?
4. If I am picturing the hole correctly, it is something the shop you purchased it from should have easily picked up on if a thorough VIP was performed. I am not 'bashing that shop' because I can't tell what the hole looks like but if it is a manufacturing error, it should have definitely been picked up on at the first VIP.

I have a few European cylinders that have scubapro valves, and all of them have the hole that you are talking about. that hole is there so that if the valve is not fully seated gas will have more of a clear path to escape. there is NOTHING WRONG with your valve, and if your dive shop wont fill your tank because of it I would suggest finding another dive shop.

Yeah, Pictures would be good, I would like to see this myself.

Marchand, your saying your European valve has a hole cross drilled just below the flange where the o-ring seats into the center gas path? I can see how that could help if someone try's to unscrew the valve with the cylinder pressurized. Same concept of the hole on the DIN fitting.

Just a word of caution, be VERY careful with European and US cylinders and valves. The European M25 thread is VERY close in size to the US 3/4 NPS thread. So close you can screw them together, but if you fill the cylinder it will rip out and shoot across the room.

Just a word of caution, be VERY careful with European and US cylinders and valves. The European M25 thread is VERY close in size to the US 3/4 NPS thread. So close you can screw them together, but if you fill the cylinder it will rip out and shoot across the room.

This bears repeating. Does your tank neck have "DOT-3AA" or anything equivalent stamped on them?

As for what it's for, I suspect it's the same as the hole on the DIN valve threads - so a loose connection can relieve pressure without stripping the remaining threads and shooting the valve into the ceiling. If that's the case, it really doesn't matter where the hole is on the threads, as long as it's at or below the level of the o-ring--it should be able to keep a seal.

For some reason I want to say I have seen a hole into the valve threads that screw into the cylinder. I want to say I saw it on Sherwood valve. I will check when I get home tonight.

It's called a stupid's hole. It is to warn stupid that there is pressure in the tank when he is trying to remove the valve before valve and tank depart his hands going in opposite directions.

to answer some of the questions above me

the tank is less than a year old and this is the first time the valve has been taken off since i got the tank

the tank is a faber hp 100 with the blue steel pro valve that comes with faber tanks

i didnt buy the tank from the shop that wont fill it it was purchased from scuba.com

and the reason the shop wont fill it is because they dont know if its normal because they dont seel faber and they've never seen this on another valve

i will try to post a pictuer later

Does it look like this, the hole is at the top of the threads under the o-ring surface.

Larger Image

Captain is correct. That hole serves the same purpose as the hole on the DIN fitting. I have not personally seen a valve like this yet, but if I did I would not refuse to pass it or fill it. You should be able to tell it is a machined part of the valve and understand its purpose.

Marchand, your saying your European valve has a hole cross drilled just below the flange where the o-ring seats into the center gas path? I can see how that could help if someone try's to unscrew the valve with the cylinder pressurized. Same concept of the hole on the DIN fitting.

Yeah, that is what I'm saying.

And I already knew that... actually the m25 valve will screw into a 3/4" tank, but a 3/4" valve won't screw into a m25 tank.

Back
Top Bottom