Small Storm Headed Your Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish I had my poncho so that I don't get wet when I go diving! :D

Hoping for some sun today... Stars and moon were out a 10PM last night and I can see a sliver of blue now.... we'll see.

Definition of an internet troll:
"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response."--Wikipedia (bold added)

You admit in this case you are a troll.

..and to think I was one of those forum members that actually missed your posts when you were gone. I don't know what I was thinking....:mooner:

I won't post on this thread again, it's not worth the time and would obviously feed right into your reason for starting the thread to begin with. Next time, if you need to troll again, post something that will "attract some attention" that doesn't have the possibility of influencing someone's decision to skip Cozumel and spend money elsewhere for no good reason. No diver wants to miss dive days on their precious vacation, your speculation that diving would be canceled is completely unwarranted and uninformed. For you, "fun" on the internet in the form of inflammatory, irrelevant and reckless posts can translate into real money lost to the businesses on the island. Try to have more concern for the people of the island most of us love. As of this post, this thread has been accessed 235 times, some of those may be people thinking about a cheap trip to Cozumel and visited this forum to get an idea of the location and the diving (that is how I found this board).

There is certainly a proper time to post about hurricanes and their influence, but your original post was nothing more than "warning" about a rainstorm and speculation that diving may be canceled. It may be a small thing to you and others, but I've seen you spin things up into a frenzy in regard to other non-issues and I want to express my opinion early in the hopes that it wouldn't happen again.

Good day to you, sir..

The storm that DD was referring to was noted on every respected weather site. I made a post about it on the 26th myself. I noted it was doubtful that it would turn into anything although at the time the NHC gave it a 30-50% of becoming a cyclone after it entered the GOM.

It has now seemed to have past.

I really do not see how pointing out a weather forecast is (to quote): "For you, "fun" on the internet in the form of inflammatory, irrelevant and reckless posts can translate into real money lost to the businesses on the island."

If I were coming to the Caribbean and had spent a lot of money to do so I would want to know of any potentially bad weather (although I would be the first to admit that weather sites, especially weatherunderground seem to always take the worst case scenario).

Weather forecasts are what they are and nothing else. On all Cozumel related sites there are many post's asking about weather. Tropical Storms this time of year tend to form in the central Caribbean (Emily, July 13, 2005). The recent forecast was given by ALL major weather agencies. How can that be anything but helpful or at worst ambiguous? I guess I just don't understand the obvious anger over it.

Thanks CZ. Yeah, it was a real concern then, and I should have noticed your thread and posted on it - sorry, then the next day it surprised the experts, blew inland and weakened - good news! It may leave land today and do something else over warm Gulf waters, but they don't expect much now.

I'll never forget the night before I evacuated Coz in advance of H.Dean: people were showing up at the hotel, not knowing abut the storm or that all boats had be pulled out of the water, then the next morning arriving at the Cancun airport early enough to see hundreds who had spent the night in lines. Indeed, I originally traveled into the Caribbean without checking weather and came a little bit too close to H.Debby. Travel or diving, less keep it reasonable - but if we are to err, let's err on the side of caution.

Now jayjoans: discussions, debate, joking, trolling - which is which vary with some confusion. If you ever think I am actually trolling, click the Report button and have a Mod look. For now, care to drop this...? :D

Thanks CZ. Yeah, it was a real concern then, and I should have noticed your thread and posted on it - sorry, then the next day it surprised the experts, blew inland and weakened - good news! It may leave land today and do something else over warm Gulf waters, but they don't expect much now.

I'll never forget the night before I evacuated Coz in advance of H.Dean: people were showing up at the hotel, not knowing abut the storm or that all boats had be pulled out of the water, then the next morning arriving at the Cancun airport early enough to see hundreds who had spent the night in lines. Indeed, I originally traveled into the Caribbean without checking weather and came a little bit too close to H.Debby. Travel or diving, less keep it reasonable - but if we are to err, let's err on the side of caution.

Now jayjoans: discussions, debate, joking, trolling - which is which vary with some confusion. If you ever think I am actually trolling, click the Report button and have a Mod look. For now, care to drop this...? :D

I know what you mean. In 1992 in the early summer we had our boat moved from the West coast of Florida to Key Largo as there are few tourists, especially at the reefs, due to the heat at that time of year. There was very little tropical activity that year so we kind of stopped paying a lot of attention to it and there was no internet weather anyway.

On the 23rd of August after diving we went into a bar for some finger food and noticed everybody gathered around the TV. Turns out Hurricane Andrew is like 100 miles off-shore and is heading towards South Miami.

We immediately had the guy who helped with the boat get it out of the water and take it back to the West coast. As we were checking out of our room, to evacuate to Tampa, there was a French couple with a couple of small kids just checking in (which of course the hotel would not let them do). You could tell from the look on their faces that they did not have a clue as to what they were going to do. We spoke to them for a few minutes advising them to rent a car and head North. Although they had plenty of time to leave and I'm sure they are ok, I will never forget the looks on the kids faces as I pulled out of the parking lot.

Now what we just had was not even a real depression, but in the beginning it was a very large mass of disturbed weather. The forecasts said one thing, but as is the case so many times, it did something else. I for one would rather know of any type of weather possibilities than be in the dark about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom