Small Storm Headed Your Way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hahaha.gif
LMAO! You people are amazing at times. I figured this would attract some attention while I was out on a tractor all day. Am sorry to see that someone else already had a thread on this tho; should have posted on his. :blush:

As I said...
Doesn't look like it'll be much, not much reason to change plans other than a day or two of no diving maybe. Something to keep in mind. Got rain ponchos...?
No word yet on when it may hit, if it does - and it may not cancel anything. Ponchos might be a good idea...
[c]
70yzwo.jpg

[/c]
As the respected expert said...
The intensity models predict that at landfall, the system will be a weak Category 1 hurricane or strong tropical storm.
However, looks like it's blown west already...
SH-02.jpg
The port is actually open in Coz, not in cancun for wind but we did go out in the morning, Coz. is fine to dive....great dives like always.

DANDY DON, keep the info coming, last year I remember all the info you sent when a storm was about to hit us so keep it coming it is helpful......thanks
Thanks.
Yep, better than NHC, altho they all get their basic info from NHC. I like Tropical Weather : Weather Underground and have Cozumel as one of my listed Favs.

This thread my not be helpful to anyone, but I certainly tried to base it on facts from reputable sources. Sometimes it is nice to have those before you listen to news. :eyebrow:
Don- Please don't now become the weather police like you were/are with that other issue that was a whole lot of nothing that starts with an S and ends with a U. Let the people of Cozumel do their best to recover economically from all of the recent damage from that trumped up mess. Posting warnings about a rain shower and speculating that diving will be cancelled doesn't help anybody, and could scare some people off for nothing.

By your own words, this thread didn't even need to be started. "Doesn't look like it'll be much, not much reason to change plans" Why even mention it?

Furthermore, do you think that the residents of Cozumel look on Scubaboard for their weather information? Who are you "warning"?
You're the funnest. If you want to volunteer as my SB conscious, contact a Mod - maybe the one who Thanked you.

Last edited:
hahaha.gif
LMAO! You people are amazing at times. I figured this would attract some attention while I was out on a tractor all day. Am sorry to see that someone else already had a thread on this tho; should have posted on his. :blush:

As I said...

No word yet on when it may hit, if it does - and it may not cancel anything. Ponchos might be a good idea...
[c]
70yzwo.jpg

[/c]
As the respected expert said...

However, looks like it's blown west already...

Thanks.

Yep, better than NHC, altho they all get their basic info from NHC. I like Tropical Weather : Weather Underground and have Cozumel as one of my listed Favs.

This thread my not be helpful to anyone, but I certainly tried to base it on facts from reputable sources. Sometimes it is nice to have those before you listen to news. :eyebrow:

You're the funnest. If you want to volunteer as my SB conscious, contact a Mod - maybe the one who Thanked you.

DD thnx for the link

I figured this would attract some attention while I was out on a tractor all day.

Definition of an internet troll:
"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response."--Wikipedia (bold added)

You admit in this case you are a troll.

..and to think I was one of those forum members that actually missed your posts when you were gone. I don't know what I was thinking....:mooner:

I won't post on this thread again, it's not worth the time and would obviously feed right into your reason for starting the thread to begin with. Next time, if you need to troll again, post something that will "attract some attention" that doesn't have the possibility of influencing someone's decision to skip Cozumel and spend money elsewhere for no good reason. No diver wants to miss dive days on their precious vacation, your speculation that diving would be canceled is completely unwarranted and uninformed. For you, "fun" on the internet in the form of inflammatory, irrelevant and reckless posts can translate into real money lost to the businesses on the island. Try to have more concern for the people of the island most of us love. As of this post, this thread has been accessed 235 times, some of those may be people thinking about a cheap trip to Cozumel and visited this forum to get an idea of the location and the diving (that is how I found this board).

There is certainly a proper time to post about hurricanes and their influence, but your original post was nothing more than "warning" about a rainstorm and speculation that diving may be canceled. It may be a small thing to you and others, but I've seen you spin things up into a frenzy in regard to other non-issues and I want to express my opinion early in the hopes that it wouldn't happen again.

Good day to you, sir..

DD thnx for the link
You're very welcome. Crown Weather is indeed a good one as also linked above. I'm glad that it blew inland so quickly; sorry I didn't post on the existing thread for the subject, and it's be a mess to combine them now - so let's let this one die, ok...?
SH-04.jpg
Hi, this is Rob Carver, again filling in for Jeff Masters.

Invest93L is still present as of the 8am EDT Tropical Weather Outlook, but I'm extremely doubtful that it will reach even tropical depression status.

Invest93L's presentation on satellite imagery does not project the image of a strengthening storm. Convection, what there is of it, appears to be anchored over the Yucatan Straits and is not following the low-level circulation center. Also, microwave imagery indicates that the convection is weak, with relatively low rainfall rates.

It is worth noting that even if more convection forms after the circulation center moves into the Gulf of Mexico, there isn't much time for the storm to strengthen. By Tuesday evening, both the NAM and GFS 06Z model runs bring a weak front down into the Gulf, raising wind shear to the point that would dissipate Invest93L.

So, after considering the above, it's my opinion that Invest93L is not likely to intensify and will dissipate in a day or so.

Rob Carver
You admit in this case you are a troll.

..and to think I was one of those forum members that actually missed your posts when you were gone. I don't know what I was thinking....
:dramaqueen:
Nah, but it is funny the way some people react to discussions based on factual information.

I guess a lot depends on one's views, as I thot your post was trolling. It's rather easy to click my Username, then click Ignore...
SH-03.jpg

What is the best weather site to predict tropical storms for the Cozumel area? We are headed there in September to take advantage of the price deals during that time of year. We know it is in the hurricane season and don't want to get caught.

What is the best weather site to predict tropical storms for the Cozumel area? We are headed there in September to take advantage of the price deals during that time of year. We know it is in the hurricane season and don't want to get caught.

Well, the Crownweather link above is very good; it's the one stop site that I always use since it gathers info from numerous other sites. If it's prediction for a specific location more than a few days out you are looking for, though, then good luck finding anything with other than very rough statistical data.

But even at the height of hurricane season the odds of a hurricane hitting where you are when you are there is pretty small.

Hi BB! Hits are very rare in Coz, but your prudence is wise - just don't get too worried; always look for facts within these emotional threads. The two links already offered here are probly the best, and there is always the NHC...

I did ignored H.Dean on path to Coz in Aug 07, thinking surely it would veer off, then had to evacuate. I got out much easier and cheaper than some, but it would have been wiser to not have gone. The airline would have given me full credit to another ticket - no penalties. Many hotels and ops would have been agreeable to full refunds or full credits, but while the one I was using would not have been (I did ask in advance, then she was one of the first to leave), my trip insurance would have paid any losses if I had not gone. As it turned out, my trip ins still paid for losses, but since I used the plane ticket (much higher then too!), no refunds.

Still, I returned in Aug 08 and will again in Aug 09; always like to take a nice trip for my birthday :cool2: and the odds are small that there will any problem...
Check the factual sites closely as your packing to leave;

Make informed decisions based on facts, no emotional posts, and on the details of your trip insurance - some covering if it is a named storm, others if a direct hit warning has been issued by NHC, etc;

But most likely, have a wonderful trip. :pilot:​
Even if waves do get rough while you're out, don't be shy about requesting a life jacket. All the boats should have them; it's fine to ask to see them when you board. I carry an inflatable one myself and am often the only one who wears one, but I care little about what others think ab out my safety actions. Just wish I could get my dive bud to wear his more as I have a solemn promise to his sainted mom to always bring him back in good condition. :eyebrow:

Editing rather than bumping: So anyway, yes - there will be weather discussions regardless of how many try to discourage them. Hope we can all keep them reasonable.
But even at the height of hurricane season the odds of a hurricane hitting where you are when you are there is pretty small.
That's the way I am about tornadoes here on the High Plains. We have them, but my house is such a small target for a twister so I never use my basement. Hurricanes do take a larger swath, but statistacally - a small island like Coz, or any other, is rarely hit.

I was tempted to ride out H.Dean, but admonished here for even thinking that. A Cat-1 like this one was once thot possible of making might be fun, but it was much bigger than that.

Back
Top Bottom