Smallest SPG ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uglyredshoes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone,

Anyone knows whats the smallest available SPG around?

Or rather... is it possible to attach a pony gauge to the H/P hose to use like an SPG?

Been using a transmitter for the longest time, and with a pony gauge. But im wondering if i can fix this pony gauge on to a hose.

Thanks!

You can use the gauge that requires a stem from these folks Piranha Dive Manufacturing
scroll down the gauges till you see the small one that requires the stem. It will screw on the HP hose. Sorry, I couldn't directly link the gauge.
Hope this helps
Charlie

I suspect there are adapters that will screw into a HP hose that will then allow the button spg to screw into the adapter. Or you can just get a HP hoese made up with a female outlet that will accomodate the guage.
There were some vintage SPG that attached to a HP hose back in the earlier days of scuba diving that had a small rod come out of it when pressurized. It was marked in increments to show how much air was in the tank, much like a miniture tire guage. I see them once in a while on eBay.

Great. Thanks for the information.

I'm new to these tech stuff. How exactly will the 'stem' help connect my pony gauge to the hose?

I take it its as simple as, plugging one end of the stem into my pony gauge, and screwing the other end into the hose, and lubbing the o-rings?

Most button gauges are made to fit in the HP reg port. They will not seal if attached to a hose. The stem has 2 tiny little O-rings that seal to inside of the gauge opening and the hose connection. This also allows the gauge the "spin" on the hose for ease of reading. The assembly MasterofO linked you to will work. The one from Piranha is 1/3 the price. Just curious, why do you want to mount a pony gauge on a hose?

Great. Thanks for the information.

I'm new to these tech stuff. How exactly will the 'stem' help connect my pony gauge to the hose?

I take it its as simple as, plugging one end of the stem into my pony gauge, and screwing the other end into the hose, and lubbing the o-rings?

FYI - Those pony / button gauges are really hard to read and not very accurate. I have one, I can squint carefully and tell the you the pressure within 500 lbs. Fine for checking a bailout bottle IMO, not mch else.

FYI - Those pony / button gauges are really hard to read and not very accurate. I have one, I can squint carefully and tell the you the pressure within 500 lbs. Fine for checking a bailout bottle IMO, not mch else.

Just to add, the pony gauge I have has notches every 1000psi. From instruments accuracy course of my university I remember that it means that the manufacturer guaranties that this tool will have an accuracy of +- half of the notch, that is 500 psi. So when you look at the gauge that seems to show 700psi it can be in fact 200 or 1200. While you can visually calibrate them on the surface and make sure that it it more accurate than that when the environmental conditions change, say temperature The reading may change as well. They test it within conditions specified.

I agree the button gauge is good on a pony. I think that a small spg gauge would be more useful underwater than a button gauge. They are very hard to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom