SMB etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually this was a shore dive near a launch so the concern was the boat traffic. I'm terrible at guessing distance but we were maybe 150' away from our dive flag and the dock.

I think you also need to remember that SMB and DSMB use is also geographical.

I originally learnt to dive in the Red Sea, SMB's and DSMB's are not really considered. Partly because opening (OW or similar) qualifications are to basic to include SMB's etc, also the waters aren't very tidal.

SMB's are more likely to be used in areas where boat traffic is a specific problem, or in very tidal water.
DSMB's are generally used by wreck divers in tidal locations.

In the UK both are used extensively, although DSMB's more than SMB's. But this is because the majority of UK dives are on wrecks (we have a lot of them - an island that has been involved in Navel conflict for centuries, strong tides and adverse weather).

Very few UK divers would consider diving without carrying at least one DSMB. Whilst they are thought of as a signalling device whilst the diver is underwater, indicating the divers position as they drift away from the wreck and complete their decompression. They are also ideal signalling devices when a diver is on the surface.

Gareth

I'm a regular diver (more than 50 dives per year) and in the past three years of diving off a dive boat the only time I've seen an SMB deployed was when I tested a new one. The dive boats deploy large dive flags and I feel quite safe surfacing anywhere near the boat without deploying a SMB first.

Definitely an interesting discussion: I do not think SMB use has taken off as widespread as its mentioned here on SB. I've been on many boats recently and not only did many people not use it, they didn't even have it (which I think is not right).

Definitely an interesting discussion: I do not think SMB use has taken off as widespread as its mentioned here on SB. I've been on many boats recently and not only did many people not use it, they didn't even have it (which I think is not right).

As I previously said, the use of SMB's and DSMB's are geographical. In addition, it is also dependent on the type of dive and diver.

Where you have holiday divers doing 'holiday dives' you are less likely to see or need SMB's or DSMB's.

In the UK the vast majority will always carry a DSMB. You see far fewer SMB's, this is also compounded by the fact that the newer generation of self sealing DSMB's can double up as a SMB, so one piece of kit doubles up.
The vast majority of UK divers are tidal. So all regular UK divers carry and use DSMB's. They not only aid the boat to follow you, the also double as a flag if the boat can't doesn't see you on surfacing.
Most UK skippers wouldn't let you get in the water without a DSMB.

They are so much part of standard UK dive kit, that at the inland sites you will see a lot of DSMB's being used. Divers will launch one at the end of dive for standard practice - without really thinking about it.
In addition - UK divers will often do compulsory decompression as part of their normal diving. Doing the stops (even a safety stop) is far easier under a DSMB than free floating in mid water.

On Red Sea holidays, (holiday divers,) you will see DSMB's being carried - by the regular (UK) diver. They are so much part of your minimal equipment as a regulator, that you are unlikely to dive without one.

If you look at diving statistics - diver separation from surface cover makes up a significant percentage. Carrying an inexpensive small tool that minimises the risk, or can act as a signalling device is a very wise move in my humble opinion.

Gareth

I just used mine "for real" for the first time yesterday. Our group got thrown off course, most likely by my own user error using the digital compass in my shearwater for the first time. Pointing out from the dock gave me a bearing of 220, and pointing back in (turning 180) gave a bearing of 320. I didn't realize this before heading out, so we got turned by about 90 degrees on our return after leaving pre-laid nav line. Weird huh?

Anyway, we ended up too far away from our dive flag which we had tied off, and so I shot my SMB to (hopefully) ward off boats, and we ascended there. All that practice in the pool paid off! I didn't get tangled or drop anything. I didn't lose my buoyancy control (much). I felt pretty good about it.

So yes, carry one, but also practice using it. The first time I shot it on a real dive was just for practice and I got tangled up, then lost my mask on the surface while trying to put it back together. And that was *after* my first round of practicing in the pool.

Next time to this site I'll wear a normal compass too and compare notes. I can't imagine the magnetic effects that would throw things off like that.

The deployment of a DSMB is part of BSAC's core training. Sports Divers are taught to deploy from the bottom at around 10m. Dive Leaders have to demonstrate mid-water deployment from around 15m whilst maintaining their Buoyancy within 1m.

In my shop the guides should use a SMB. This is required! The SMB is not only a signalling device for where you are are underwater to the boat, but also a safety device if you are doing the safety stop and there is a lot of boat traffic around you. Also when suddenly a strong current is picking up, and you are sure you will be soon to the end of the dive site. I think using the SMB is always useful.

I plan to dive with one when my son and I go to the Keys next month.
Let's ask someone who lives in the Keys then... oh wait... that's me! :D :D :D
  • State Law
    • Florida Law mandates that a diver shall be within a 100 ft of a Dive Flag in State waters
    • Boats have BIG dive flags
    • SMBs are not a legal replacement for a dive flag
    • Not all Keys diving is in State waters
  • Keys Diving
    • Few drift dives
      • Boats here usually tie off to a mooring buoy
      • You board the same boat you left and its flag suffices
        • Yes, even if your dive takes you over a 100 ft from the boat
      • If you're on a drift dive, you're expected to follow the diver with the flag
        • The diver with the flag is never lost
        • Shoot your SMB if you get separated
          • To my knowledge, no diver has been ticketed for this.
    • SMBs are usually reserved for when you're blown off the wreck/site
    • Let your captain know if you're going to be practicing this at all
  • General Etiquette
    • Shoot the SMB from depth ASAP if you're ever separated from the Divers Down Flag, you get lost or you can't find the &*^%! anchor (no anchor = no boat)
      • At least one SMB per group
      • Not using an SMB is a common factor in abandoned divers
    • Reel up the line as you ascend
      • Leave no slack in the line!!!
      • Excess line results in entanglements
    • Leave the SMB inflated
      • At least until the boat is 100 ft away
      • Boats don't mind fully inflated SMBs with clipped off reels on the deck
      • Deflate & stow when you get back on the deck
    • Learn and practice shooting your SMB in a pool or in a safe area.
      • Don't wait until you need to shoot it
      • Practice makes perfect

my own user error using the digital compass in my shearwater
Calibrate that thing!!! Calibrate it when you change the battery. Calibrate it if you change states or countries. It's not much of a compass if you don't calibrate it and it's super easy to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom