Smoking and Diving Risks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you're actually agreeing with seaducer...

If you return to smoking (even after an extended smoke free period), then you haven't actually quit. You've simply taken a 'breather' (If that isn't the case, then I used to 'quit' after every cigarette).
And, "if willpower is by far the most important factor influencing whether or not someone will stay smoke free...". Then willpower, by default, is ultimately THE factor in long-term cessation (which *is* quitting).

The *only* thing that worked for me was discipline. All the nicotine receptor blockers seemingly do is give you a leg up on trying to quit, which is ultimately determined by your commitment to stay smoke free (read 'discipline').

Perhaps it's just semantic nit-picking...

In part I was definitely agreeing, but I wanted to point out that while cold turkey was what worked for him and many others that he shouldn't simply assume that it will work for everyone, for the reasons I mentioned before. Different people are more prone to addiction than others, a very undeniable fact. And aren't we all a bit biased and nit-picky? I think semantics come out in every post on this board, personally... it's the nature of the people that like to discuss things at length :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom