SMS 50 sport weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy fix. Move the elbow down to the dump location and the dump up to the elbow location like we've been doing since the 90s with the Nomads. The elbow is now protected and the dump is at the highest point where it should be.

I think he's discussing the merits of 2x counter-tensioned bolt-snaps at the cylinder base, this....

attachment.php

...in addition to elbow positioning (which, as you say, is easily rectified in the SMS50 Sport)

In my expirience the webbing material of the SMS waist belt is not plenty stiff to use as an attachment point for aluminum 80's. I've been using a 2 static d ring system on the waist belt. When I move the now fairly bouyant aluminum 80 to the front d ring, it pulls the belt out from the waist too much. I believe this issue is why the Stealth, for example, uses stiffer belt material.

Andy, my comment was definitely not only about the elbow positioned on top. One thing to note about the fix is that now you have an OPV in the exact same place. Maybe not as vulnerable as an elbow, but far from preferrable. Rob, you're right....you can fix the inflator location, but it still gives you an OPV up there.

scuba127: Then you have a different experience than most. In what way does it pull the belt out from the waist? Maybe your waist strap isn't tight enough?

When I move the clip to the front dring, the tank, being fairly bouyant, pulls the belt away from my body. It could be the belt needs some work although I've worked with adjusting it some and I'm still getting that effect.....

With the tank properly trimmed, near empty, clipped to your front d-rings, and you in the right posture, the tank will be trying to float up which will pull your d-rings to your sides and slightly up. If I'm understanding you right, the tank is pulling out and maybe a little bit down on the d-ring, causing your waist strap to be straight from d-ring to d-ring and just off of your waist instead of round and flush to your waist. That may indicate that your clips are in the wrong spot, rotationally around the tank. It might indicate a couple of issues. Even if it is pulling slightly away, your waist belt shouldn't be so loose you get much play. You're the first person I know of to have that issue.

It appears then that this issue is not common place so it must be something I need to adjust. My sidemount training used the rails so this is my first shot at waist attachment points. I purchased a set of rubber sliding drings from X Deep and now have those mounted on the SMS 50...I'll give them a shot....thanks for the input.

Andy, my comment was definitely not only about the elbow positioned on top. One thing to note about the fix is that now you have an OPV in the exact same place. Maybe not as vulnerable as an elbow, but far from preferrable. Rob, you're right....you can fix the inflator location, but it still gives you an OPV up there.

Yes it does. The OPV is pretty much right where the OPV for the Armadillo and Nomad is. I have hundreds of dives on both my Armadillo and Nomad and while both OPVs are scratched up quite a bit neither has ever broken on me. The OPV is much more durable than the elbow. And having an OPV on the highest point of the wing makes dumping the wing much eaiser. I've used rigs with the OPV on the inside of the wing and getting all the gas out typically requires going vertical.

First the pockets of the Hollis Sport are rated for 3 pounds each (which means a solid lead 4 lb wont fit but a 4 lb buckshot bag will). The specs for the Sport ONLY have 2 pockets, the manual is universal to the SMS 50 system, there is no 3rd pocket.

That said - since 8 lbs can go into the pockets (ditchable) , and you can belt thread two-three pound weights (non ditchable) on either side- for 4-6 lbs it takes you to a total of 12-16 lbs.

Should cover the bases- especially if- like your supposed to in sidemount - you use a HP Steel 80 or LP 85 tank, with negative buoyancy... probable could lose the belt threaded weights entirely.

Dan-O

I'm with DD, why are some people trying so hard to take away the benefits of SM. it's a tool, why try using a hammer in place of a screwdriver.

Yes it does. The OPV is pretty much right where the OPV for the Armadillo and Nomad is. I have hundreds of dives on both my Armadillo and Nomad and while both OPVs are scratched up quite a bit neither has ever broken on me. The OPV is much more durable than the elbow. And having an OPV on the highest point of the wing makes dumping the wing much eaiser. I've used rigs with the OPV on the inside of the wing and getting all the gas out typically requires going vertical.

Thanks for the constructive feedback,

A couple of questions ... If you swap the opv to the top between the shoulders, do you make the pull cord longer and bring it over the shoulder strap? or reach way back for it?

Also, where exactly should the bottom clip be on the tank? like ... when you are in perfect trim and if someone was looking at the tank on your left side from behind, would the clip be at 12, 3 or 6:00?

Back
Top Bottom