SMS 50 sport weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you swap the opv to the top between the shoulders, do you make the pull cord longer and bring it over the shoulder strap? or reach way back for it?

It needs to be where you can reach it :wink:

Also, where exactly should the bottom clip be on the tank? like ... when you are in perfect trim and if someone was looking at the tank on your left side from behind, would the clip be at 12, 3 or 6:00?

The location has to do with cylinder circumference. effect of buoyancy and your torso circumference.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks for the constructive feedback,

A couple of questions ... If you swap the opv to the top between the shoulders, do you make the pull cord longer and bring it over the shoulder strap? or reach way back for it?

Extend the length of the pull cord. I use sprinkler tube from Lowes to route the cord over the shoulder strap.

Also, where exactly should the bottom clip be on the tank? like ... when you are in perfect trim and if someone was looking at the tank on your left side from behind, would the clip be at 12, 3 or 6:00?

for an AL80 I typically put the triglide that the clip cord is attached to at 3 o'clock. The clip is being moved from one d ring to another and this helps keep the cylinder trim regardless of which d ring it's clipped to. With steel tanks I usually keep it at 2 o'clock but that can vary with diver and cylinder.

I use sprinkler tube from Lowes to route the cord over the shoulder strap.

That's brilliant.

One more question...

When you have your tank all dressed out with regs and hoses and what-not, does the bungee go around the tank valve and the hoses together, or do you kind of snake the bungee in betweeen the hoses, around the neck of the tank valve and back out without getting a hose caught between the bungee and the tank valve?

along the same lines of question, when you unclip the back of a tank and swing it around in front of you, like this... http://diving.abyss.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Sidemount-diving.jpg do you unclip the bungee from around the valve to do that? or leave the bungee in place?

For your first question, it depends on the type of tank you're using. With steel tanks I just put the bungee around the knob of the tank valve. But I also use 3/16s bungee. It's narrow enough that the edge of the knob holds it in place. Larger diameter bungee slips off the knob too easily. With aluminum tanks I wrap the bungee around the neck of the tank.. This is because I do relocate the bottom clip on the tanks from the rear to the front during the dive and just wrapping the bungee wround the valves twists them around too much but routing the bungee around the neck holds the tanks in place where they should be.

I do not unclip the bungee. It stays in place.

Back
Top Bottom