Snorkel for DM Testing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my tired diver tow the instructor required us to be in control of the situation. This included being able to communicate with the diver being to towed to make sure they were ok and watch for signs of panic.

I just checked my PADI Instructor manual, 1999 edition with updates thru 2002 included. All it states is:

"Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without assistance. Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag) not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated."

It then goes on to a time and points scale.

I don't see anything about using a snorkel, and nothing about using any specific method, it mentions "push or tow" so any rules you were told about head down and snorkel are either introduced after I received this manual, or are the instructors own elaborations.

In case you wonder why a rescue diver with less than 50 dives has a full instructors manual, I did a Zero-to-hero course from non-diver to Instructor, paid by the govt student loans scheme, just never finished it beyond Rescue, but still received all manuals and study material which was paid for up to Instructor level.One of these days, I'll probably finish it, it's all paid for already after all. I've just been too busy working to dive since leaving University.

Thanks Kiwi...push or tow was an option. The instructors recommendation was to tow. It was still our choice. The snorkel, however, was not an option. It was a requirement, according to him. In any event, I did pretty good on it so I'm not going to complain. I'm just looking forward to the next "event" trying to make it a little easier.

Last edited:
Thanks Kiwi...push or tow was an option. The instructors recommendation was to tow. It was still our choice. The snorkel, however, was not an option. It was a requirement, according to him. In any event, I did pretty good on it so I'm not going to complain. I'm just looking forward to the next "event" trying to make it a little easier.

Snorkel should not have been required, and in my opinion is a poor way to do it for previously stated reasons...

Snorkel should not have been required, and in my opinion is a poor way to do it for previously stated reasons...

I fully agree.

First of all, here is the exact wording of the current PADI requirements for this exercise:
Exercise 4: 100-Metre/Yard Inert Diver Tow
Tow (or push) a diver for 100 metres/yards nonstop, at the surface, without assistance – both divers equipped in full scuba equipment.
The diver is absolutely not required to use a snorkel.

Next, I am fully in line with all those who disagree with the recommended procedure. You do not have either a visual or auditory connection to the diver, and you can't tell if he or she is in distress. Not only that, in my experience, swimming on the back is much more efficient in scuba gear. As you learned, when going for full speed, breathing through the snorkel instead of taking big lungs full of air is very limiting.

Finally, I have never seen anyone do it the way it was described--it is not how it is normally taught in OW scuba classes anywhere that I have ever seen. I am an innovator by nature, so I have no problems with people finding a new and superior way to do something, but you need to be able to show that it is superior. I can't think of any way that this method is superior to what has been traditionally taught. If you go on to be an instructor, will you teach students to do it this way? Does your instructor teach OW students to do it that way?

I just checked my PADI Instructor manual, 1999 edition with updates thru 2002 included. All it states is:

"Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without assistance. Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag) not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated."

It then goes on to a time and points scale.

Spot on. It is a stamina test, NOT a rescue assessment. Who cares (in this test) whether you can talk to the "victim". A candidate must have a snorkel, mask, regulator, etc. but they do not have to use it. Frankly I would have thought laying on the back and towing the candidate is the fastest way to complete it but I only managed a 3 on that score so I could be wildly wrong.

The cert is through PADI. The test was 4 lengths of the pool. I double checked and you're right, it is a 100yd tow. Instructor suggested the method I used because you can see where you are going and create less resistance in the water. Who an I to argue. I'm 6ft, 285 lbs and did it in 3 min. I'm not going to complain.

I do not know how close you were to scoring a 5, but those turns at the end of the pool waste valuable time. I have my candidates conduct this in open water. Of course we are not dealing with surge or currents. YMMV.
I always recommend the tank tow for DMC's but leave it to them to choose the best method for them. I have yet to have one ly face down on snorkel or reg.
As much fun as you had on the first one, see if you can/want to have a 'do over'.

Back to the original question about snorkel bore size, you won't get a lot of benefit from changing snorkels. The internal volume of a snorkel is limited. When you exhale, it will be full of "dead air"--air short on O2 and long on CO2. You must inhale that dead air with your next breath. If you have a larger internal volume than the (rough) standard, you will be inhaling less O2 and more CO2 with each breath.

If a snorkel has a wider bore than is standard, and if its internal volume is to stay in a safe range, it must be shorter than standard. It can't be much shorter, though, because it has to protrude out of the water.

If I were you, I would not base my snorkel purchase on improving the results of an exercise you will probably never do again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom