snorkel use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just returned from Hawaii. Had a great time even with all the rain.
It seemed I was the only diver with a snorkel. Was I wrong in having one. I got lots of strange looks because I had it with me. I guess it is just old school habit.

Do you use a snorkel?

I don't but plenty of folks do. You should dive with what you are comfortable with. When there is a big sea, I take a foldable one in my pocket. Don't worry about the other divers, the experienced ones won't give you a second look.

If you do a search for this you will find hundreds of posts in existing threads.

Joe

Sideband:
If you do a search for this you will find hundreds of posts in existing threads.

Joe[/QUOTE

Thousands, more like. Some folks swear by them, and many more (at least many dive board regulars) swear at them. I liked mine at first, liked having it "right there" if I needed it. then I listened to the no-snorkel, or pocket-only snorkel opinions, and tried a foldable in pocket, thought I'd really miss the 'ready' snorkel--I didn't, nor did I miss the tug on your mask if you get into a bad current wearing one, or the partial obstruction to using a camera. I might wear one if I knew I'd have some long surface swims (unlike most, I prefer to do these face-down rather than up), but the situation hasn't come up, and I don't shore dive much.

The stereotype is that snorkel-wearers are newish divers, or instructors who "have to" wear one while teaching, and the streamlined no-snorkel dudes are more experienced, and like all stereotypes there's some truth to it.

But do what you feel comfortable with. Try it with, and without, and decide for yourself.

Funny you post this today. I did a dive this morning and my regs froze up and started to free flow causing us to call of the dive. We were a ways from the shore and I had a snorkel...my buddy did not. Sucked for him trying to do the surface swim back to the shore while I had my snorkel and got back much easier. I poo-pood using a snorkel lots before today but now I'm glad I had it!! :D

Thoughts tho....what would people think of me having breathed off his octo to get to the shore...we both had over 2000 psi left....technically it was similar to an out of air situation...I had air...just couldn't use it :wink:!

I use a snorkel in the ocean, it has been a life saver. If you want you can get foldables you can tuck away in your BC.

Dutchman:
Just returned from Hawaii. Had a great time even with all the rain.
It seemed I was the only diver with a snorkel. Was I wrong in having one. I got lots of strange looks because I had it with me. I guess it is just old school habit.

Do you use a snorkel?

Foldable Pocket Snorkel unless I am around students and then the rule is to have it attached so I pull out the heavy beast and strap it on.

I always have a snorkel with me on dives. however, it is one of the old school straight pieces of 'J'-tubing with a mouthpiece, no purge valves or bells and whistles. i keep it tucked in the straps of my knife which i wear on my leg. it has served me well many times, but mostly for pointing out interesting sea creatures to students, etc. like getting stonefish to move.

if i have to ever do a long surface swim, i end up swimming it on my back and thus don't really need to use the snorkel.

in any case i like having it with me.

JE

I carry a foldable in my BC pocket except in classes when I clip one to my mask. I like having the foldable available if I have a long surface swim, but in all honesty, I haven't had many where it was needed. It's kind of like a knife. I don't use it often, but when you need one, there's no substitute.

Funny thing about the snorkel. I know people who only use them if they are with students or former students, PADI frowns on going without (they put instructors in jail or something). Techies I know hate them. I have no real opinion except to say I usually don't use one these days.

Locale seems to change use also. In Hawaii see less than in Texas (flower gardens). I would say that if you are comfortable with it, it can be useful, so use it. If anyone stares just clear your snorkel in their general direction:D

Funny how rain doesn't stop diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom