Snorkeler killed in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluefish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
IL/IA (about as far from salt water as you can get
Very sad, and a good reason to always drag around that dive flag.

Bayside lobster diver killed in boat accident

By STEVE GIBBS

keysnews.com

PLANTATION KEY -- He worked out at the Mariners Wellness Center six days a week, and was a vigorous swimmer at age 79.

On Tuesday, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, Charles Haddad was diving for lobster with a friend when a 23-foot Contender driven by a Plantation Key couple struck both men, killing Haddad.

A neighbor witnessed the accident and confirmed that the pair did not use the required diver's down flag, according to a report by Lt. Ed Maldonado of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, who assisted in the investigation.

The accident occurred about 100 yards offshore from Haddad's bayside home near Mile Marker 88, where he was diving for lobster with Charles Arthur Stone, 74, of Tavernier.

"We are going to miss him more than we can say. We'll miss his independent personality. He was part of the [Mariners Hospital] family," said Leah Holzwarth, Mariners' Wellness Center Director.

"He was a true character," Holzwarth said. "He was full of fun, life and joy."

Haddad would greet Holzwarth and her staff every morning when they opened at 6 a.m., as he entered for his morning workout.

"We joked that he should have a key to the center," she said. "He would have to be finished with his workout by 9 a.m. three days a week so he could have breakfast in the hospital cafeteria with his buddies. It was a ritual for him."

One of those buddies, Stone, was not seriously injured.

Florida Fish and Wildlife officer Jay Marvin responded, arriving just minutes after receiving the call.

The Contender was driven by Scott J. Dennison, 47, and approached the divers at approximately 30 knots.

Dennison's wife, Catherine Dennison, 45, told Marvin that she did not see the snorkelers until the last minute when they surfaced, and by then it was too late to avoid hitting them.

Stone was struck by the hull of the vessel and received a minor injury to his head. Haddad was struck by the boat's propeller.

Catherine Dennison, who recently completed a rescue-training course, jumped into the water and brought Haddad to the boat's transom.

Once the victims were at the boat Scott Dennison and passenger Roy E. Terjesen, 59, pulled both victims on board and applied first aid. They quickly brought the men to shore where Islamorada Fire and Rescue was standing by.

Stone refused medical treatment, but Haddad was taken to the helicopter pad across from the old Mariners Hospital where Monroe County's Trauma Star helicopter relayed him to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

Haddad was pronounced dead at 5:30 p.m.

Bluefish once bubbled...
The accident occurred about 100 yards offshore...

The Contender ... approached the divers at approximately 30 knots.

Those bits stuck out to me. Would a diver's down flag have been any use if the boat driver was operating at such high speed so close to shore? We will never know.

Keep it safe out there, and slow down a bit close to shore.

was that they surfaced right in front of the boat, (according to the wife). If I hear a boat nearby I would be taking a deep breath and head for the bottom.

Wildbill:cop:

I agree, but he was probably out of breath and no offence but old and hard of hearing.

I think we all now the buzzing noise a prop makes and I have had a few boats pass very close both when snorkling and diving. When Snorkling I prop my self high up and look all around for the boat if its close I would make sure the driver sees me. If I was diving I head as deep as I can.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...

Those bits stuck out to me. Would a diver's down flag have been any use if the boat driver was operating at such high speed so close to shore? We will never know.

Keep it safe out there, and slow down a bit close to shore.

Hopefully, they would have seen the flag and not been going so fast.

This is sad,
they should have used a dive flag, though from my experience, boaters don't pay too much attention to flags anyway, but still.....

khel

BigMike once bubbled...

Hopefully, they would have seen the flag and not been going so fast.

A boat moving at 30kts covers a distance of 100 yards in less than 6 seconds.

How far away can you see a 12 inch square flag? Now try again bouncing around as your boat hurtles along with spray flying about.

IMHO, there is really no reason for a boat operator to be moving that fast so close to shore. Too much going on, and not enough reaction time to avoid tragedies.

Well,

I've got pretty bad eyes, and have never been comfortable driving a boat, so...like I said, hopefully.

It is very unfortunate though. very sad.

What kind of a boat owner would name his boat "Contender?" He sounds like someone who cares more about looking macho and driving fast. I hope he get's an opportunity to explain to a judge why he was so careless.

Babelfish once babeled...
What kind of a boat owner would name his boat "Contender?" He sounds like someone who cares more about looking macho and driving fast. I hope he get's an opportunity to explain to a judge why he was so careless.

"Contender" isn't some macho-looking name plastered on the back of some rich kid's offshore speedboat! It's the brand name of a center-console fishing boat, similar to a Boston Whaler. 30 knots is making decent headway but it's certainly not wreckless. 100 yards may be plenty of distance from shore to open it up, depending on the local laws.

Get your facts straight, and don't rush to blame the boater every time some tragedy like this happens. The snorklers weren't using a flag, surfaced right in front of a boat, and got hit. Enough said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom