snorkeling adult who can't swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Kelly
A 3/2 mm wetsuit http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_mens_neosport_32.cfm would defently help with the bouyancy in keeping a snorkeler afloat while in the horiznoal snorkeling position, but not so well when they lift their head out of the water. Thats when they get that sinking feeling. A snorkel vest is for two types of snorkelers; a beginner or a dolphin chaser who swims too far from the boat while chasing dolphins and needs to rest head out of the water after a long hard swim, it also works great for that beginning snorkeler.
A Dry Snorkel will make a big difference comfort wise as well. http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_new_barracuda.cfm

Britt :fish:
:fish:

I agree with the 3/2 wetsuit, the dry snorkel AND the snorkelling vest. Plus...spend some time in the pool using the equipment. This will make a world of difference. If a person is fearful of water, jumping into the ocean must be terrifying. But knowing how to use your equipment makes a world of difference.

We may not see snorkeling in a swimming pool as an experience that will be beneficial, but I've personally watched people go from afraid to put their face in the water to diving for weight pouches by the end of a one hour session.

Cindy
http://www.girldiver.com

I am not a great swimmer either, but I love snorkeling.
After hearing a story that some shipwrecked fellow was floating at sea, unconscious, for days in a life jacket, I decided to give life vest a try. Off the east coast of Malaysia I made the psychological breakthrough of jumping into deep water off a boat.
I now travel with my own life vest; I picked one up in Walmart last year that is basically three pieces of foam rubber sewn into a nylon vest, and it can fold up to about the size of a Sunday newspaper.
Another positive is I can take a break whenever I want, just through myself on my back. I have gone off to islands about 1km offshore.
I had a close encounter with a blue jellyfish, the kind that puts you in shock and stops your breathing, and I was able to stay afloat with my head up until I was mobile again. Quite an experience! BTW, I had on a t-shirt and "long shorts" that almost reached the ankles: the jellyfish got me on the back of the neck and on my hands!

A negative is not being able to leave the surface, and when the sea is rough I bob like a floating cork.

spankey:
I don’t know how the others feel about this, but if he can’t swim how; can you let him in the water?

I agree... any sort of floatation device will just give him a false sense of confidence and set him up for something trajic. If you can't swim, stay out of the water. I can't imagine his ENTIRE problem is his boyancy (or lack thereof) ... if he really wants to be in the water, he needs to get some good professional help learning to swim.

I say go with both suggestions so far. Get him a floatie to use in the short term, and get him some swim lessons for the sake of his safety and enjoyment of water. Being able to swim will not only be much much safer for him, it will also allow him to get around better while he snorkels, allow him to dive down when he does want to, and ultimately get him more intimate with the ocean. Swimming is one of those things that everyone should be able to do, and certainly everyone involved in watersports.

He needs to find a swimming teacher who can teach him to swim. Being able to swim is not a function of whether you can naturally float. Competetive swimmers are usually so lean that, they too, sink if they just hold still in the water. It doesn't stop them from swimming or treading water.

BTW a snorkeling vest can help him float in water that is too warm for a wetsuit.

Dakkon:
I agree... any sort of floatation device will just give him a false sense of confidence and set him up for something trajic. If you can't swim, stay out of the water. I can't imagine his ENTIRE problem is his boyancy (or lack thereof) ... if he really wants to be in the water, he needs to get some good professional help learning to swim.

Surprised to hear the opinion that non-swimmers should stay out of the water, regardless of PFDs. As a non-swimmer, I've been advised that I should wear a non-inflatable PFD because there's a chance that a snorkel vest could get punctured or otherwise inadvertently deflate, but hadn't ever been told I should stay out of the water. What kind of tragedies should a non-swimmer be worried about if they're snorkeling in shallow water with a non-deflatable PFD?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom