Snorkeling fin upgrade question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also use the Tusa Platina for freediving in kelp. It is a comfortable, very dry, low profile snorkel.

I use the Aqua Lung Impulse 3 for strenuous activities - larger bore and comfo bite mouthpiece.

The Black teams are good for wide feet and are very comfortable.

I wanted to try the Gara Professional; they are over $200US.
FREEDIVING - Fins

I wish you the best. Return safe for more diving.

Last edited:
I was medically discharged after not making through the processing at Camp Shelby, MS. I guess they aren't deploying people with PTSD anymore.

I get to be a real forum member now? Too bad I didn't choose a better name. I really like discussing this hobby/lifestyle in this community. I often see a scubaboard sticker on the wall when I go to dive shops.

I think that you may be surprised at the long fins. They won't deliver the kind of performance to which you alluded, like swimming into a raging spring and pushing forward faster than with a Velocity or similar. However, the long blade type has been under constant development and some of these may be as capable as claimed. IMO, none of those that I've used have been practical for shallow diving. This was mentioned above, that the maneuverability is lacking and surface swimming is not so great. Tests done by Scubalab of a particular Mares long fin showed lackluster results, much slower than modern, flexible channel fins like the Mares Superchannel. I looked closely at the pics of the testers involved and my observation is that they looked a little "soft". A really powerful diver might be able to make these work like most free divers only think they perform. That is probably the basis of record setting dives, extremely fit individuals who can hold their breath for 5 minutes and who are using special, custom fins prepared specially for the event. However, if you wish to experiment and verify or deny any of this I suggest you start with the sophisticated and expensive C-4 fin. Also, check in with deeperblue.com and spearboard.com for the most informed or biased views and the latest news. These people use long fins every day and have pretty much seen it all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom