Question Snorkeling in Maryland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone aware of any places in Maryland that are good for snorkeling – i.e. good visibility and critters to see? Would be interested in saltwater, brackish water, or freshwater.

Thanks,
Jim

@Philosopher King what you probably saw was a Harvestfish, Peprilus paru, as they occur all along our eastern seaboard and into the Gulf of Mexico, look very much like a Mono at first glance and as you stated, Monos don't live here.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I figured out what it was though – a young Permit (Trachinotus falcatus). It zipped by, so I only got bad partial photos. But my recollection corresponds with this photo: Permit (Trachinotus falcatus) Here are my photos:
202310051436PA050612-Edit.jpg
202310051436PA050613-Edit.jpg

I think the other fish I saw was a young Pigfish (Orthopristis chrysoptera). My photos:
202310051514PA050727-Edit.jpg
202310051514PA050722-Edit.jpg

Looking over my photos, looks like my Assateague snorkeling excursion also netted a tunicate and another creature – possibly some type of feather duster worm – that was living inside a sponge (probably Sulphur Boring Sponge (Cliona celata)) . If anyone has any ideas on ID of the worm--or whatever it is--please feel free to chime in (apologies for the photo quality--didn't know it was there until I saw the photo!):
202310051518PA050741-Edit.jpg

So all in all, it exceeded my expectations–though it seemed quite underwhelming at the time.:p

Back
Top Bottom