Question Snorkeling in Maryland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Trilobite

Trilobite

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

Is anyone aware of any places in Maryland that are good for snorkeling – i.e. good visibility and critters to see? Would be interested in saltwater, brackish water, or freshwater.

Thanks,
Jim

I may be checking out places next week during what look to be the last warm days of the year. Is there any place or places in particular around Kent Island that you had in mind?
I have only ever dove from a boat for oysters in Eastern Bay in October. I would think anywhere in here would bet the same results. It's not "a ton of life" but there is stuff to see and relatively shallow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930-223539_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230930-223539_Maps.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 41
I hear the Anacostia river is going to be opened back up to people
Is there anything worth diving there? In PA they have a river, but there's an old derailed train. I haven't been yet.

@Philosopher King did you get any snorkeling in? I talked to a few people from an oyster boat that went yesterday in that bay, they said it was a good 15' viz.

@Philosopher King did you get any snorkeling in? I talked to a few people from an oyster boat that went yesterday in that bay, they said it was a good 15' viz.
I wound up going to Assateague/Ocean City for other reasons. I checked a few places and the only thing I found that looked suitable for snorkeling was bayside in the national seashore. Visibility was about 15 feet, but I was surprised at how shallow it is – I couldn't find water deeper than 3 feet even going out about 100 yards! And I was told it's about the same at peak tide. Did not see much – most of the vegetation was dead. But did run across some colorful orange sponges, a horseshoe crab, and two fish. (One of which appeared to be a "mono" (family Monodactylidae); these don't occur naturally in the Western Hemisphere, so I presume some aquarist dumped one there – it came over to briefly check me out, as if it associated humans with food.)

In any event, I may check the vicinity of Kent Island at some point – probably next year. I do recall in the past seeing some water with good visibility at Terrapin Nature Park and CBEC.

I wound up going to Assateague/Ocean City for other reasons. I checked a few places and the only thing I found that looked suitable for snorkeling was bayside in the national seashore. Visibility was about 15 feet, but I was surprised at how shallow it is – I couldn't find water deeper than 3 feet even going out about 100 yards! And I was told it's about the same at peak tide. Did not see much – most of the vegetation was dead. But did run across some colorful orange sponges, a horseshoe crab, and two fish. (One of which appeared to be a "mono" (family Monodactylidae); these don't occur naturally in the Western Hemisphere, so I presume some aquarist dumped one there – it came over to briefly check me out, as if it associated humans with food.)

In any event, I may check the vicinity of Kent Island at some point – probably next year. I do recall in the past seeing some water with good visibility at Terrapin Nature Park and CBEC.
Yes, I've tried that many years ago. But, like others had warned you, beware of jellyfish.

snorkeling in Chesapeake Bay off the National Park.
Ok, but there is no National Park on Chesapeake Bay. Assateague National Seashore, where I snorkeled yesterday, is between the Atlantic Ocean and Assawoman (edit: actually Sinepuxent/Chincoteague) Bay--not near the Chesapeake.

Ok, but there is no National Park on Chesapeake Bay. Assateague National Seashore, where I snorkeled yesterday, is between the Atlantic Ocean and Assawoman Bay--not near the Chesapeake.
This is what I meant, because there is also Maryland State Park just north of it. This was so long ago I already forgot what it is called. It was fun back in the 90s, but then the traffic got so bad we stopped going there. The last time I stopped by briefly was in 2010, when I did Kathleen Riggins diving from Ocean City, then went into the park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom