Snorkeling technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter,

I notice that you advocate dropping the snorkel from the mouth upon descent. Although I can see how this might be a helpful technique for someone who can't clear their ears but what about other people?

Walter:
After your last breath before descending drop the snorkel from your mouth.

I need to try that, I like my dry snorkel in choppy water but I do notice that the reaction of my internal air volume varries with how well the dry snorkel seals from dive to dive.

Walter, Do you suggest replacing prior to breaking the surface?

Pete

Walter:
Dropping your snorkel and closing your mouth is a good idea for us all.
When I used to spearfish that was one of the techniques used to avoid making too much noise and spook the fish, as bubbles escape the snorkel when it is in the mouth as opposed to just channeling the water when it is removed before going down. As I'd come back up sometimes I would put it back in my mouth and expel the water the usual way, or I would just surface and take a deep breath with my mouth wide open and put the snorkel back in place and then expel whatever residual water there might be. As for the mask, a low volume mask can make a big difference in how much air is needed to equalize, just one tiny nose blow will be enough to equalize a low volume freediving mask, as opposed to much more for a larger volume scuba mask.

humanFish:
Walter,

I notice that you advocate dropping the snorkel from the mouth upon descent. Although I can see how this might be a helpful technique for someone who can't clear their ears but what about other people?

I prefer dropping my snorkel from mouth because as I descend with snorkel in mouth it tends to disrupt the seal of the mask below my nose. If diving to 100+ feet, I sure hate to lose that precious air on clearing the mask.

I do replace the snorkel on ascent to use the displacement method of clearing the snorkel.

spectrum:
Walter, Do you suggest replacing prior to breaking the surface?

Pete
I actually do not replace the snorkel during ascent, for two reasons:
1) I begin exhaling over the last 20-30 feet of the dive and I would rather not have any conflict at the surface between my exhalation and my inhalation. I feel that a snorkel interferes with this process.
2) The only way a snorkel might not interfere (for me at least) would be to clear it using the displacement method. but therein lies the problem. For the displacement method to be effective, the neck must be extended. This tends to compress the carotid arteries and reduce blood flow. If we're talking a 20-30 foot freedive then the effect may be negligible but if you're talking 100+ ft dives and esp. while spearing then it would certainly warrant consideration.

pieohpah:
Hi, I've been looking for information on snorkeling technique for a wile, and have come up with very little. I meen; how much is there to know except for practicing?

I'm normally scuba diving and there are differences.

My main concerns are:
* equalizing the mask - maybe not needed at all. Some use goggles
* equalizing the ears. I have a problem doing this with the snorkel in my mouth, it's much easier with a regulator. How come? Maybe, because there is less counter preassure in the snorkel. How is it best done?
* Should one use the snorkel just on the surface, removing it going down?
* Is there a good/easy way to clear the snorkel coming up?

OK, that's enough for now...

Want answers from guys (and gals) that are into freediving go to http://forums.deeperblue.net/ and ask some questions. They'll give you some answers on technique and how tos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom