Snorkels - This one's for Red<G>

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm...

I'm liking the idea of stowing the snork behind me in the BP someplace.

This weekend in La Jolla, between dives, several of the crew went snorkling on the surface on the SI as there were about a zillion large Leopard Sharks in the area. I couldn't play, as my Snorkle hasn't seen daylight in about 5 years.

Good idea, the plate. I'm gonna go check that out.

---
Ken

Thalassamania:
Cave Diving Exempted!

1) Do you dive with a snorkel?
99% of the time yes, it comes off for currents and days when it is just generally annoying me which are rare.

Thalassamania:
2) What kind (Make/model?) of snorkel?
Have no clue, I paid $3.00 for it on clearance at Meijer. The bore is 3/4" and it has a purge valve.

Thalassamania:
3) Where do you carry your snorkel? Why?
On the left side of my mask. Keeps it out of the way of my regulator hose.

Thalassamania:
4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?
Not an official long hose (5 or 7 foot) but both of my hoses are longer than standard hoses and my octopus is necklaced. The snorkel is a PITA with the necklaced octo especially when trying to put the necklace on or take it off since my mask is usually the first thing I put on and the last thing I take off. Using the necklaced octo is no problem while wearing the snorkel.
Ber :lilbunny:

Very rarely.

Aqualung Snap Folding Snorkel. (Tusa Imprex Hyperdry for actual snorkeling.)

Used to carry one in a pocket, but latest BC has no useful pockets. I would carry my folding snorkel all the time if I could figure out a good place to stash it. (Plan to get or make a pocket for rarely used stuff like snorkel/strobe/mirror and fit it behind me someplace where I could still get at it. Not much room...

4) Do you dive a long hose?
No.

Thalassamania:
Dive with it? Never. Carry it in my dive bag? Always.
Side-vent that keeps water from splashing in on rough days. I don't know who makes it. Very soft flexible bend to a real mouthpiece (Not a SeaCure :14: ... I don't snorkle for long periods, usually.) ("Snorkle!" oh man, that word still cracks me up!)
In my dive bag, so I'm ready to free-dive and snorkle at any time of the dive day, from the beach or deck. Surface intervals don't have to be dry and talkative. Fish-watching from the surface is awesome. If I've racked up some nitrogen loading, I just surface snorkle without diving down or exerting myself much.
4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?
Yes, I always dive with a long hose/bungied back-up. I never wear a snorkle while diving, for several reasons:
  • Snorkles tangle in the kelp. I really burrow through the kelp often, and the snorkle grabs it.
  • I stick my head and shoulders deep into crevices and caves frequently, looking for sharks, nudibranchs, and other interesting creatures. The snorkle is in the way.
  • S-drills: Yes, I think the snorkle gets in the way during OOA drills and real events.
Claudette

"1) Do you dive with a snorkel?
4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?"

1) rarely, I use either no BC or a BP/wing and prefer surface swimming on my back with my mask on my forehead. I sometimes use one when diveing no BC with double hose (or single hose) --sometimes----if I expect a long surface swim but even then it is rare. Swimming on my back is prefered so I can see and avoid all of the PWCs and other water traffic that is about to run over me.

2)When I use a snorkel for snorkeling or assisiting free diving it is either my old rubber Nemrod Malaga or a simple J tube ScubaPro Shotgun

3) If I carry a snorkel for snoreling then it is attached to the RH side of my mask, if I bring one on a no BC vintage dive I may stick it in my belt or swimsuit

4) I ain't got no stink'n long hose, I got a double hose but if I was to use a girly single hose regulator then it has a 40 inch hose with swivel and I don''t use the snorkel.

In earlier times, when diving long distances from shore (on a shore dive) then divers used paddle boards or inner tube dive floats. Kayaks are the modern equivilnent. Doing your surface swim in a kayak pretty much negates the need for a snorkel

"1) Do you dive with a snorkel?"

Only sometimes, when conditions seem to warrant. On occasion, I have wished I had one, and not, but it was a casual "gee, I guess this would have been a good one to bring it on" not an "oh, crap, where's my snorkle, I'm gonna di-gurglegurglegurgle!" moment.

"2) What kind (Make/model?) of snorkel?"

I have both a Tusa Imprex Hyperdry in a pretty blue for warm water diving in pretty colors, and a Tilos Splash S1000 (essentially a Tusa clone) in black for when I'm in my bad-mutha looking cold water tech gear. I plan to get an Oceanic Pocket snorkle (in black, of course) soon, so I can take it with me more often, yet not have it in the way.

"3) Where do you carry your snorkel? Why?"

As I am without a pocket snorkle for the time being, it either lives in my gear bag or on my head, depending on my pre-dive decision. Because it works best there. Once I get the pocket snorkle, it will go in, um, a pocket. Again, because it works best there.

"4) Do you dive a long hose? Does your snorkel give you any trouble with deployment?"

Yes, as of last week. No problem whatsoever when I'm not wearing it. ;-) How much trouble it is when wearing it remains to be seen... I'll try it out some day while doing drills.

Back
Top Bottom