So how hard is it getting out of Coz now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of weeks ago...I don't know if it was because it was a late afternoon flight and they weren't real busy or what, but they went through every checked bag on everyone. I had 8 c cell batteries and about 12 AA batteries and they didn't say a thing. They said no matches in your carry-on so I just stuck the box of matches in my pocket. The carry-on just went through the x-ray. No problem and I had my regs. in my carry-on, at DFW they always check the carry-on when they see the metal in the regs. The time before that there was a lot of ppl. leaving and they just did the random check on the checked baggage so I guess it just depends on...something. Still, no problem leaving. They did send every bag through the x-ray when we arrived on the island though, didn't even use the red light green light.

Mawg:
I just came back tues. 7/4. What was odd to me was you still have to press the red/green light after retrieving your luggage but no matter what color you get, red or green, you have to put your luggage through the X-Ray machine, which is still better than having to open it and go through it. Everything else was pretty much the same. I thought retrieving your luggage was faster before they installed the conveyor belts. They used to just bring it in and through it against the wall. Remember Gordon?

I remember. No cruise ships, Chankanaab was just a little restaurant and you could snorkel in the lagoon, Playa Bonita was the Naked Turtle, deck hands would go over the side for conch for lunch, the island south of the Presidente was as undeveloped as the east side is now, there wasn't a single traffic light on the island, turtle steak was served in restaurants (and it was delicious - sorry), the hot spot in town was the Scaramouche... Yeah, I remember.

Hemlon:
Why is there a battery restriction???

Because free batteries are better than having to purchase your own :)

At the airport departing, I had a large assortment of batteries in my check-in bags (all removed from my equipment). When the guy inspecting the luggage saw them, he had to call someone else over for one of their infamous consultations. He didn't confiscate them, but if he had tried, I would have thrown them away rather than letting him have them.

Other islands I've been too want you to take both your new & used batteries with you, as they have no way of properly disposing of them. This whole business sounds like a corrupt Mexican practice to me. There's no point to it whatsoever if the batteries have all been removed from your equipment.

We left Cozumel on June 17th, and the airport was pretty busy. They went through every single piece of checked baggage, for every passenger, and it took quite a while to get through the line. Good thing we got there very early.

They searched two of our carry ons when they were x-rayed at security, including the reg bag.

Then...... they had an inspector at a table at the gate. When we were boarding, I was pulled aside. She wanded me, had me remove my shoes for inspection, and went through my carry ons again. The next person pulled was a boy that was about 16 or 17 yrs old.

Nothing was said about the bag of batteries in my checked dive bag.

What I get a kick out of when leaving from either Cancun or Cozumel is that when I travel first or business and use the special check in line they never touch my checked luggage. I get waived right up to the counter and the bags go directly onto the belt. When I travel coach every bag is opened and inspected by hand.

scubawife:
What I get a kick out of when leaving from either Cancun or Cozumel is that when I travel first or business and use the special check in line they never touch my checked luggage. I get waived right up to the counter and the bags go directly onto the belt. When I travel coach every bag is opened and inspected by hand.

<dark humor warning>
Well, everyone knows that terrorists can't afford to fly first class, and frequent flyer miles? Fuhgeddaboudit!

ggunn:
I remember. No cruise ships, Chankanaab was just a little restaurant and you could snorkel in the lagoon, Playa Bonita was the Naked Turtle, deck hands would go over the side for conch for lunch, the island south of the Presidente was as undeveloped as the east side is now, there wasn't a single traffic light on the island, turtle steak was served in restaurants (and it was delicious - sorry), the hot spot in town was the Scaramouche... Yeah, I remember.

DAMN !! ................... Sigh. ( heavily )

Back
Top Bottom