So how long will it sound like I'm breathing through my ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
or that I'm talking in a wind tunnel? Got back from Thailand last Wednesday (3/29) and my ears have been clogged ever since. I was fine after 6 days of diving on a liveaboard, and for 1 day layover in Bangkok. But then I took 3 flights from Bangkok to the US and by the time I got off the last flight, my left ear was toast.
I went to the doctor on Saturday and he said I had an ear infection and prescribed antibiotics and a decongestant. Then I went to an ENT on Monday and I started prednisone yesterday. In the meantime, my right ear gets clogged up too and when I talk, I don't know how loudly I'm speaking. It's very disconcerting. I stopped taking the decongestant because the side effects were awful (a really bad backache). So how long do these things take to clear up usually. This is the first time I've ever had any problems after diving and flying. Next time, I think I'll try and find a more direct flight so I don't have all those take offs and landings.

are you asking how long the ear infection will take to go away or the hearing problem? the ear infections i used to get would take about 3 days... the hearing problem.. i usualy get that when i start a new workout plan... i accidentally hold my breath while breathing out and it puts pressure on my sinuses(i think) so i get what you have... but that usualy goes away in about ten minutes.

maybe it was the flying and the strain on whatever it is that closes up does to excessive pressure after putting strain on it while diving...

hope that helps... :)

It usually takes me about 3 weeks to clear all of the fluid out of my middle ear. Ever since I started diving I get an ear infection in my right ear every winter. Maybe just coincidence, but ever since my kids started school I get EVERY disease that is going around town. Sucks. I just finished some Zithromax as I'm just getting over Bronchitis. The rest of my family has Pneumonia. Anyway, my right ear plugged up AGAIN, second time this year. The infection I had before this one required steroids (Medrol?) as the fluid wasn't clearing after a few weeks.

Kray_Z:
i accidentally hold my breath while breathing out and it puts pressure on my sinuses(i think) so i get what you have... but that usualy goes away in about ten minutes.

maybe it was the flying and the strain on whatever it is that closes up does to excessive pressure after putting strain on it while diving...

hope that helps... :)

How can you hold your breath while breathing out? LOL

I was thinking more along the hearing problem clearing up. Actually, since I posted this, my left ear seems to have cleared up. I hope it stays that way. My right ear is still clogged though.

well i guess it isnt exacly breathing out but you know when you kind of allow pressure to go through out all air cavities and it creates pressure on the ears :?

DAN suggests a home brew recipe for avoiding ear infection (otitis externa). 50% isopropyl alcohol 50% white vinegar.
Put the solution for not less than 5 minutes on each ear on the morning (before the dives) and repeat the process after you finish diving on the day.

RP_Diver:
DAN suggests a home brew recipe for avoiding ear infection (otitis externa). 50% isopropyl alcohol 50% white vinegar.
Put the solution for not less than 5 minutes on each ear on the morning (before the dives) and repeat the process after you finish diving on the day.

How does that prevent infection I wonder. Anyway, went back to the doctor today because my ear still hurts. Infection is gone. No clue as to why it still hurts, unless there's still fluid in there. Told me to take Advil and Sudafed.

That solution is for external infection only, otitis media I believe is the term. Swimmer's ear. It won't do a thing for fluid in the middle ear or infection of the middle ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom