So how long will it sound like I'm breathing through my ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if I remember right, the infection is gone, but it can take longer for the fluid to resolve. I am guessing around 3-five more days.

Otitis Externa, if not treated, is often followed by Otitis Media. But is important to say that Otitis Externa is not allway the cause of Otitis Media. Otitis Media can and is almost certain when a ruptured eardrum occurs. So said my doc. So better safe than sorry.

And forgot to say, DAN article staes that if the infection is already instaled the solution is of little help.
For more reference.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49

Hi RP Diver,

I agree that "...is important to say that Otitis Externa is not allway the cause of Otitis Media (sic)."

In fact, a more useful statement would be that infections of the external auditory canal rarely are the cause of middle ear infections. While they may appear simultaneously, this doesn't indicate a causal link.

Regards,

DocVikingo

"allway" typing error....

Last month I got Otitis Externa and did not gave to much importance. Then the pain became unbearable, I went to the doc. He diagnosed me with both Otitis Externa and Media, he added that the external ear was the first part of the ear that got infected.

The cause: You spend too much time in the water. :D

but haven't you guys seen divers with no pain, infection ruled out by doc, who STILL complain of hearing muffled for almost a week? I see that a lot.

catherine96821:
but haven't you guys seen divers with no pain, infection ruled out by doc, who STILL complain of hearing muffled for almost a week? I see that a lot.

So is it just fluid in the middle ear still? Today I feel better. Go figure. Hearing still a little muffled but not like a week ago. Maybe falling asleep for 90 minutes when I got home from work was a good thing. :D

Drink my urine? I don't think so.

catherine96821:

Sounds like me! I had Bronchitis 2-3 weeks ago and both ears, especially the right had fluid in them. I'm still trying to clear out the fluid in the right ear. When I wake up in the morning sometimes the ear feels slightly "full", especially if I sleep on my right side. This tells me that any remaining fluid is pooling against the drum while at rest. You can have fluid in the ear without necessarily having an infection. The fluid (plasma really) is a result from either an infection or a trauma like an ear squeeze. I suppose one could have fluid, an infection, or both. One may lead to the other. I had to take steroids (Medrol?) to "clear" out the rest of the fluid from one ear infection I had. Sounds like I might have to do the same if this does not clear up in another week or so. It's always my right ear that's bothersome. And I did rupture the drum at one point in time (discovered by ENT), either as a result of a barotrauma or an infection (sometimes the drum can rupture from fluid pressure). Funny how I never got any ear infections since childhood until I started diving 3 years ago. Then again my kids are in school so maybe it's just the germs they bring home. Every time something goes around the school the whole family gets sick! Sure.....blame it on the kids :) I'm wondering if I have some type of low grade infection that never really goes away? Maybe the Doc can come back with some more thoughts on this stuff.

The DM (who was an instructor) told me about the fluid in your ear from ear squeeze. I think I had that, and then it got infected. The funny thing is, I have the exact opposite experience from you. When I lie down, my ears are fine. When I'm up for about an hour, the right one clogs up. My solution is to spend the day in bed. Unfortunately, my boss doesn't agree.

fairybasslet:
The DM (who was an instructor) told me about the fluid in your ear from ear squeeze. I think I had that, and then it got infected. The funny thing is, I have the exact opposite experience from you. When I lie down, my ears are fine. When I'm up for about an hour, the right one clogs up. My solution is to spend the day in bed. Unfortunately, my boss doesn't agree.

That sucks. Yeah it gets old after awhile. One reason they prescribe decongestants also is to help open up the sinuses and E tubes (I think) to promote drainage. For some reason I think I have a crappy right side E tube that just doesn't drain very well. The decongestants don't seem to do squat for me. Again, I'm no Doc, just my personal observations. That being said I'm going upstairs to take a Mucinex now......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom