So I turn to Mort and ask,"Is this a bad idea or a really bad idea?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulthenurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Mort and I went out yesterday. We left Wessagusset around 9:30and cruised out Hull Gut towing a couple of lures behind us. We couldn't entice the stripers to bite so once we were through we bombed over inside Boston Light. Mort geared up first and splashed in, 45 minutes later he was back with a couple of bugs for dinner. I moved east a few hundred yards and jumped in. He had described the area as "Weedy, there is that red crap everywhere and it's covered with kelp." Great. I hate those dives. I don't like hunting in the weeds, I like sand and rocks, which is why I moved in the first place. So I'm about 10 minutes into my dive and the visibility is terrible, a typical New England 10 feet~ 5 to your left and 5 to your right, the bottom is more of that red mung weed and I'm working both sides of a ridge that has sheer walls but no holes.

And suddenly it occurs to me... I'm the captain! It's my boat! If I don't like where I'm diving I'm not stuck there. So I pop up next to the boat and climb back on. Mort is grinning from ear to ear, I think he liked my thought process. So we shoot over to the inside of Greater Brewster. I'm anchored in 50 feet and am geared back up ready to go. I've got everything on, down to my mask on my face when I 'think' I see lightning. We decide to sit for a minute and just when I'm convinced I didn't really see it and I'm literally sitting on the gunwale ready to roll off I see it again and now there is thunder. So I decide to sit and wait a bit longer. "We'll just let it pass, then I'll go." And then we look up and there is a black wall coming straight at us, with lightning shooting out everywhere. And I'm sitting there with a 50 pound hunk of steel strapped to my back and I'm wearing a wetsuit that's soaked in salt water.

Mort's answer to my question was, "If it were me splashing, it would be a spectacularly bad idea, since it's you it's only an incredibly bad idea."

That's when we made the mutual decision to bail out and go find a bar. That's the second best thing about being the Captain. You can call the day of diving because of safety concerns and so long as you mention the word beer in your reasoning everyone is cool with it. We ended up moored at Jerry Remy's on the waterfront, watching the rain come down in buckets. All in all not a bad day, considering I only got in a 10 minute dive.

Fun story!

You fished for stripers, bagged some lobsters, and went to a bar? That sounds like a great day to me.

You have to know where to draw the line. If it is this bad I might seriously consider calling the dive.

pic_1_69317.jpg

You fished for stripers, bagged some lobsters, and went to a bar? That sounds like a great day to me.
My point exactly.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 08:27 PM ----------

You have to know where to draw the line. If it is this bad I might seriously consider calling the dive.

View attachment 161324
It looked much like that only with so much rain you couldn't see the front of the boat.. (And the boats not that big!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom