So I'm driving down the road....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
…listening to my Flavola, (sp?) CD, they are the band that our lovable ggunn is in. He gave me a CD sampler when we were on Coz in May and I’ve been wearing it out.

Anyway, I start laughing to myself because I remembered something that happened during our May visit.

My lovely wife and I had just had dinner with Gordon and his family and friends, (The Thundering Herd), at Sonora Grill, one of many wonderful meals we shared together, and we were all walking back to the Plaza.

Just as we approached the square, Gordon and I noticed a familiar white, red and green sign hanging over what used to be Morgan’s Restaurant, the beautiful all wood decked establishment that used to be at the NE corner of Plaza.

IT’S A 7-11!!!! We just looked at each other and started to laugh, “That’s just wrong!” I think is all that was said. I think it actually took quite a while for it to really sink in. A 7-11! on the square!!!

It took me back to the last time I visited Tulum and at the visitor’s center where all the shops and stuff is, there is a Subway…just didn’t seem right and looked out of place among all the typical Mexican shopping stalls.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for capitalism and the spreading of the good old American way just as much as anyone, Hey Mexico is America too you know, but some things should just be left alone, shouldn’t they?

Did it have to be put right on the square? That’s one thing I love about Mexican towns, they are usually based around some sort of town square and most of the time a Church is the anchor to the square. Very quaint and purely Mexico.

Dropping an American icon in one of these places just really detracts from it. You used to be able to take a picture in the Plaza and could know in your heart that the background would be undeniably Mexico. Now you have to work at keeping the 7-11 sign out of the shot.

I know you can't stop progress, Pizza Hut, Micky D's & The Hard Rock for that matter have been there for years with the later 2 bening on the waterfront, but personally I with they would have left the Plaza alone.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing:D

... I felt the same way when I saw that they were putting a McD's in the plaza in Toledo, Spain.

I was shocked when I saw the 7-11. What happened to the sign above the place that used to be there? (You know what I'm talking about :D)

That doesn't belong on the plaza, I agree. Is nothing sacred?

On the other hand, after spending more than a week in a small town in Norway, finding a MacDonald's at the train station in Copenhagen was a nice bit of home after eating Norwegian food for a while. . . .

but in the square? *deep sigh*

W

O2BBubbleFree:
... I felt the same way when I saw that they were putting a McD's in the plaza in Toledo, Spain.
They did! :shakehead

I love that town.... I've been to Spain twice and I want to go back so badly...

Places like that didn't bother me in say, Madrid, Barcelona, Sevelle. But Toledo is such a town that has stopped in time. :wink:

Sigh...

I remember diving in Coz in the late 70's and 80's. It was quaint.

Now when my wife and I ask for directions to a new, small restaurant, the directions usually start with...Go to KFC and turn right!

Time marches on..., but we hope to go back to Coz in January!

sharky60:
…listening to my Flavola, (sp?) CD, they are the band that our lovable ggunn is in. He gave me a CD sampler when we were on Coz in May and I’ve been wearing it out.

Anyway, I start laughing to myself because I remembered something that happened during our May visit.

My lovely wife and I had just had dinner with Gordon and his family and friends, (The Thundering Herd), at Sonora Grill, one of many wonderful meals we shared together, and we were all walking back to the Plaza.

Just as we approached the square, Gordon and I noticed a familiar white, red and green sign hanging over what used to be Morgan’s Restaurant, the beautiful all wood decked establishment that used to be at the NE corner of Plaza.

IT’S A 7-11!!!! We just looked at each other and started to laugh, “That’s just wrong!” I think is all that was said. I think it actually took quite a while for it to really sink in. A 7-11! on the square!!!

It took me back to the last time I visited Tulum and at the visitor’s center where all the shops and stuff is, there is a Subway…just didn’t seem right and looked out of place among all the typical Mexican shopping stalls.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m all for capitalism and the spreading of the good old American way just as much as anyone, Hey Mexico is America too you know, but some things should just be left alone, shouldn’t they?

Did it have to be put right on the square? That’s one thing I love about Mexican towns, they are usually based around some sort of town square and most of the time a Church is the anchor to the square. Very quaint and purely Mexico.

Dropping an American icon in one of these places just really detracts from it. You used to be able to take a picture in the Plaza and could know in your heart that the background would be undeniably Mexico. Now you have to work at keeping the 7-11 sign out of the shot.

I know you can't stop progress, Pizza Hut, Micky D's & The Hard Rock for that matter have been there for years with the later 2 bening on the waterfront, but personally I with they would have left the Plaza alone.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant. I now return you to your regularly scheduled browsing:D
Hey, Marc, glad to hear that you are enjoying the Crystal Flavola CD. We mastered the first 5 songs for our "official" release last night.

That is a shame about the old Morgan's building, I can't believe that they just painted over all that varnished wood. 'FI were King of Cozumel I'd decree that all gringo businesses would have to have their signs in Spanish - Siete Once, Café Duro de la Roca, Subterráneo, Pollo Frito Kentucky... Como se dice en Espanol "Hooters"? ;^)

GIFCo147:
Now when my wife and I ask for directions to a new, small restaurant, the directions usually start with...Go to KFC and turn right!

I have very good news for you! The KFC folded about 5 years ago. The bad news is they put ANOTHER jewelry store in its place. In that 5 year period we've seen the addition of McDonald's, 3 Burger Kings, and the second Domino's. The first Domino's, Pizza Hut and Subway were already here five years ago.

When the second Domino's was under construction, I was praying for a Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts. :51: Alas, my prayers went unanswered. My waistline is grateful, as it is located a mere block and a half from my place.

Hey Gordon,

any chance of getting MP3's?? :rock_band

ggunn:
Hey, Marc, glad to hear that you are enjoying the Crystal Flavola CD. We mastered the first 5 songs for our "official" release last night.

That is a shame about the old Morgan's building, I can't believe that they just painted over all that varnished wood. 'FI were King of Cozumel I'd decree that all gringo businesses would have to have their signs in Spanish - Siete Once, Café Duro de la Roca, Subterráneo, Pollo Frito Kentucky... Como se dice en Espanol "Hooters"? ;^)

I know this sounds pretty naive...

Maybe it's a lower-middle class family who saved their pesos for a looong time and bought the 7-11 franchise for Cozumel and are now living the "American" dream, yet still living in Paradise.

Yeah, I know... I'm sure it's an upper-middle class or upper class family who bought it but one can hope. :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom