So, Scuba Club or Blue Angel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were at Scuba Club in Feb. and it was a very enjoyable experience from check-in to check-out. It has easy access to town and while the rooms are not lavish, they are nicely decorated and the are not all stamped out of the same mold....so it is has a certain ambience that many hotels just can't offer.

The food was better than what we anticipated, and it is great to be able to get a well rounded breakfast with no hassle or rush, before you board the dive boats in the morning. When you get back from diving, the lunch you ordered at breakfast is ready, or if you want to wait & order off the menu, you have about a 10 - 15 min. wait that you can fill with salads, guacamole,chips & fruit. Dinners were also good and they would have a special each evening. One night they had a Fiesta cooked outdoors that included many of your traditional Yucatan, Mexican & even Tex-Mex delights.

As far as diving, after your first day check out, they will pair you up with other divers that have similar skills or interests as much as they can, so I don't htink you would get intimidated or taken somewhere you may not be comfortable with. Yes, the boats are slow, but it gives you more time to meet your fellow divers and relax...plus it is a lot smoother ride than the small boats. I've come to enjoy both modes of boat transport there as they each have their pros & cons......much like hotels:D One thing I picked up on this trip, was how much closer in Blue Angel was to town than I thought. It is actually quite close to Scuba Club.

Mike

MobileMe Gallery

This is our third trip to Coz but the first time we are actually staying on the Island (leaving Tuesday. We chose SCC but considering the relatively low cost, we weren't that concerned about the AI. We also like to roam around visiting people and restaurants but also like the convenience of AI once in a while after a long day. Just cause it's AI doesn't lock you into staying on site all the time. (We still have 4' of snow in our yard)

(We still have 4' of snow in our yard)
It's currently 81F in Coz :cool2: and only 72F here, with another norther due in tonight. I was so happy to miss the freak snowstorm that blew as far south as Lubbock while I was gone last week; as always, wish I was still there. :eyebrow:

Well we just sent in our deposit for BA for June!

It really was tough deciding between BA and SCC, but we really liked the smaller boats and the impeccable reputation of the BA dive shop as this will be our first dives after certification.

Oh, take a combination lock so you can lock your gear in the locker room. I keep forgetting to shoot pics of that. Take some pics of it will ya...?

Dandy Don, Parrilla Mission is my fave Czm restaurant! Yum.

First of all, Hotel Cozumel is NOT small, it looks small from the street, but is actually a pretty good sized property.

Scuba Club gets very high reviews and much like Blue Angel, has a very loyal following, but I don't think they are quite the same.

It's true, they are both small properies, BA only has something like 22 rooms, but Scuba Club has no phones or TV's, which is fine if you are into that sort of thing.

It has a guarded gate and has a secluded hacienda/resort feel to it where BA has a more inviting, "open" feel to it from the street not so much a "resorty" feel.

Not that Scuba Club is "stuffy" by any means, I get the impression you are treated like family there, just like you are at most the places I have encountered on Cozumel. It just has this feeling of mystery behind those stucco walls and big wooden gate.

Is Scuba Club AI? Or do they offer both? I would also suggest not going AI on Coz. There are soooo many good restaurants, we often are not able to make it to all our favorites. You really do yourself a disservice by just eating at the place where you stay.

Breakfasts and even lunch included is a great idea for dive days, just for the convienence alone, but on those non-dive days, we like to head to Rock-n-Java, Jeannies Waffels or the Museum for breakfast. (the museum is a "must do" for us).

BA has room TV's

Oh THAT'S what those things were! I thought they were swimsuit hangers...

Back
Top Bottom