So, what do you do when a 5 -6ft bull shark...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just push him away with your speargun,no need to seriously hurt 'em. He should'nt come back. I personally believe that if you drop your stringer and let them have it that they will start to associate us with an easy meal. Kinda like when people feed alligators. Though if they were becoming more aggresive with tighter " flight patterns" I would drop it for self preservation!

I saw a documentary on shark week and they show a unique way of repelling shark. All you need is an empty plastic drinking water bottle. When the shark approaches you just grab the bottle and wring it like you would to a towel to get the water out. So hold it side way and twist forward and backward so that the bottle generate that plastic noise. In the documentary they attracted the shark and as the shark was charging towards them they would wring the bottle and the shark did a 180 degree turn immediately. I guess the frequency of the noise is unbearable to the shark.

We've had good luck in the open ocean with Dietzman Death Squares:

Blue Water Shark - from 1992: Last month I was diving as pivot diver on a blue-water night dive off Bermuda. There were two collecting scientists and a National Geographic cinematographer with me on the dive. About 25 minutes into the dive I saw a large shark (probobly C. longimanus). It came toward me and I pushed it away with my light. I pulled on the tethers to signal the other divers and the shark went toward the photographer. He saw it and, of course, began filming. The other two divers followed the plan for such incidents. They detached their tethers, came in to me and then released their tethers. I dropped my tether and signaled them to surface. The three of us ascended, facing outward, at a normal rate. I watched the shark and photographer. The shark turned toward us and circled around us near the surface. I dropped a Dietzman Death Square that I carried for such occasions, the shark followed it as it sank. I told the two divers to enter the zodiac. As they clambered into the boat the shark came right back up, but stopped at the photographer, who, of course, began filming again. I dove back down to the photographer. When I got to him the shark had gone back toward the surface and was directly above us. I dropped the photographer's tether, we ascended back to back, the shark swam off about 20 feet and was just at the limit of my light. I waited until the camera was in the boat and the photographer was starting to climb aboard. I dropped another Death Square and as the shark dove after it, I quickly followed him aboard.

Greg Dietzman, a tech at WHOI got the idea that sharks would follow little squares (maybe 3x3 inches) of galvanized sheet metal, and it worked, at least long enough for us to get back in the boat. They became know as "Dietzman Death Squares."

I dive with Pat a fair bit. When I see a shark I tend to go alpha on him, even if I don't have any fish. So far this has resulted in the sharks leaving.

BTW, the 5 - 6 footers aren't much problem. Once they get 8 -9 ft, they're thick &have put on a lot of mass. Completely different fish. Much higher pucker factor.

I agree with and have used alot that Pat has posted in the past. I was on a dive last weekend and shot a nice grouper. When a bull moved in I started growling in my reg and flared out towards thee shark. He turned away and stayed just out of eyesight. Thanks Pat for the insight. As I said I am always learning . K

I say get the fish either outa the water or float it to surface when you shoot it, last thing you want is to get bit in the wrong spot and bleed out... good nite! A 5ft lemon came after my buddys stringer few weeks ago and went in to a frenzy he jabbed it with the shaft and we got outa there, i dont even want to think about bulls!

We've had good luck in the open ocean with Dietzman Death Squares:

Any additional information you can point or provide to us on the squares? Sounds interesting!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom