So what happens when the housing floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. Jack, that's pretty good advice that I've never heard before. Maybe it should be made into a sticky for new people to take a look at. I'd do it but I'm a computer moron.

do you have a contact or address where you sent yours? I may be able to send them my case to get the latch replaced since that is all that is wrong w/it

Thanks

hey mauigal
the factory svc address is:

Canon
Factory Service Center
1440 Chase Avenue
Elk Grove Village , IL 60007
Telephone: 630-250-6500
Fax: 847-439-5628

there is a repair request form on their website to complete and include with your package.

z

If the camera is turned on when it floods, it is a paperweight. If the camera happened to be turned off, remove the batteries, rinse out the salt, and let it dry COMPLETELY before you turn it on. You MIGHT find that it survived.

As a side note, Sealife guarantees their cameras. If you flood it, they will replace the camera free of charge.

So we're on our 1st dive in Bora Bora and the bride didn't feel like putting the box full of stuff together so I, as always, gave her my Canon point & shoot "idiot" camera. The idiot part was meant for me. It's a manta dive in the channel, about 80fsw. At depth, the bride looks at me, points an imaginary gun at her head, pulls the trigger then shows me a half full/empty housing. I swam over to her, gave her the "give me the camera" signal, tucked the camera in my folded arms, out of sight and continued the dive. There was absolutely no way I was going to let anything like that ruin even a moment of diving in Bora Bora. I'm no technician but I could see the camera was morte. It was a hair in the O ring.
When I checked E-Bay for a used replacement there were people selling "flooded in salt water" cameras. There must be parts that are still usable because people were buying the floods.
Oh, yeah, 6 mantas on the dive.:shakehead:

In my case, I take it to the Canon service center here in Nagoya, Japan; gesticulate wildly while speaking rapid fire English and indicate that the monitor isn't working, then after scaring the poor old man out of his wits return a week later to pick up my camera with new monitor. Give it a try, you'll appreciate the results!

Great advice. I bought my housing from a friend that flooded his camera in it (sand on the O-ring). I bought a used camera on E-bay. I use my selective OCD to check the O-ring and recheck and recheck then recheck then bubble check it in the rinse tub. So far so good.

hey mauigal
the factory svc address is:

Canon
Factory Service Center
1440 Chase Avenue
Elk Grove Village , IL 60007
Telephone: 630-250-6500
Fax: 847-439-5628

there is a repair request form on their website to complete and include with your package.

z

Awesome, thanks!
hopefully I can get it repaired.

Camera Floods: Avoiding the High Water Mark

New article on my blog taking a light-hearted look at housing maintenance. Thanks to the inspiration from this thread...

"No subject scares underwater photographers more than having an expensive housed camera turn into an aquarium. Even a bit of water can turn electronics into a corroded mess.

Here are a few general tips on maintenance that should help you avoid finding Nemo in your housing:..."

See: Optical Ocean: Above and Below.: Underwater Camera Floods: Avoiding the High Water Mark

Cheers,
Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom