Soaking regs unpressurised... oops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the dust cap is the type that has an O ring in it soaking is not a problem, been doing it for 50 years.

I normally soak most my regs unpressurized and have no problem. But I do take extra precautions with those 2nd stages that have a seat saver feature like the Scubapro S600, G500, and G250HP. With those regs, you should turn the adjustment knob all the way in (clockwise) so the LP seat seals against to orifice. Otherwise, you could get water going by the LP seat and into the hose. From there it can travel into the 1st stage if the 2nd stage is lifted higher than the 1st stage. Even then, the potential problem is if you have already gotten SW into the 1st stage, the salt will again dissolve and may cause some corrosion (verdigris) inside the 1st stage which will have to be cleaned up at the next service. If your 2nds have the seat saver feature, then you might want to disconnect the LP hoses at the 1st stage and check for water. Hopefully you will find none. While the hose is off, use your lungs to put some pressure into the hoses and purge the 2nds to blow any water out.

Since it was fresh water, I would not be overly concerned.

When I clean my regulators, I put the cap on the 1st stage, and rinse that in clean water while holding the 2nd stage. Then I raise the 1st stage out of the water, higher than the 2nd stage, and rinse the 2nd stage with clean water. This will help keep water out of the 1st stage. This is how I do it, YMMV.

I normally soak most my regs unpressurized and have no problem. But I do take extra precautions with those 2nd stages that have a seat saver feature like the Scubapro S600, G500, and G250HP. With those regs, you should turn the adjustment knob all the way in (clockwise) so the LP seat seals against to orifice.

Well that's the problem... The adjustment knobs were all the way out...

I have a huge plastic tote I throw all of my gear into and let it soak overnight. One time I managed to turn off the tank before soaking, so I know how you feel, all I could do was head off to the lds and get a fill and go check that all was good the next morning!!

You can still harvest substantial crops of green cauliflower algal blooms quite quickly
from abused fresh water regs, utilising the internal or underside of the sintered filter
as a growing medium providing some reduced performance for the last 50 weeks of the year, pre service

Back again, just been unpacking things

Three sets of regs have crossed my path this week

Two with seized SPG's and one slow one that I haven't
looked at yet

Managed to free one SPG so far

Thanks to the uninformed soakers and blowers of foreign
waters into their own equipment people

I'm happy to free them if they are able to be freed

Do you dive with the same care and attention, yeah probably, good luck

Back
Top Bottom