SoCal Dive Reports - Let us know about your dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Site: Redondo Beach/Vets Park at 10:30am
Date: 6/4/11
Conditions: A little surgy but calm surf at 1-2ft
Water Temp: 56f at 30fsw
Visibility: 5 ft at best
Dive Buddys: my wife
Comments: Just doing a little check out dive with some new dry suits. The usual four or five sand critters always seen. But for the fact that it was calm and we wanted to test out some new gear, it wasn't worth the drive and rinse but it sure beat another Saturday at Target or Ikea...:bash:

Site: 24724 Malibu Rd
Date: 06/04/2011 09:20 am (12:50 small high tide)
Conditions: 2-3ft surf, some surge
Water temp: 53f
Vis: 0-1ft
Medium surf made for decent entries and exits. The lower tide drowned out most of the waves' power. Visibility was a complete sandstorm. Lots of large particles in the water as well. Surge was not as bad as yesterday, only a couple feet either direction with the occasional 5ft surge. If I had been able to see anything, this may have been a decent dive.

Site: Las Tunas, Malibu - Middle Reef
Date: 06/06/2011 12:00 pm (2:30 small high tide @ 3.82ft)
Conditions: 1-2ft surf, low surge
Water temp: 53f
Vis: 5 ft - a bit hazy
Smaller surf made for easy entries and exits. Visibility was somewhat hazy (sandy) but overall a solid 5 ft with occasionally less sandy pockets further out. Surge was not near as bad as the past few days, only a foot or so either direction. Had an unexpected curious visitor diving along with my buddy and I. A sea lion swam with us the entire dive bumping into us and chewing on our fins and rubbing on our wetsuits and generally being the annoying nuisance they can be. We ended up calling our dive a bit earlier than we would have liked when the sea lion started getting a little overly playful and started nibbling our sides. All and all it was a really fun experience, especially considering it was a shore dive.

Site: Corral State Beach, Malibu
Date: 06/16/2011 11:52 am (11:20 am small high tide @ 3.89ft)
Conditions: 1-4 ft surf (some big sets), medium surge
Water temp: 58f
Vis: 0-8 ft
Waves came in distinct sets making for decent entries and exits. Visibility was generally 3-5ft with some areas being 0 and others opening up to 8 ft or so. Surge was odd, sometimes shooting 10 feet in one direction and only a few feet back. There is lots of diversity in the fish at this spot. We also saw several large sheep crabs and some smaller lobsters. Surf got much larger as the day got later (4-5ft) and it's supposed to build through the weekend, so be careful out there.

Site: Vets Park
Date: 06/18/2011 8:00 am
Conditions: 1-2 ft surf, mild surge
Water temp: 55f
Vis: 15+ ft

Surprisingly good vis. Saw a large gathering of rock crabs, some kind of nudibranch, and a trio of small octupi. We didn't go below 70ft and the crabs and octopus were in the 60-70ft water.

Site: Santa Barbara Island
Date: 06/18/2011
Conditions: 1-3 feet surf, very mild surge, medium surge near shore
Water Temp: 59-61 f
Vis: 20-35 ft murky

Not terribly, Vis was at least 20 feet but murky so you could make out shapes just not identify anybody. Vis was much better in the rookery, up to 35 feet but still a bit murky. Plenty of sea lions, as usual, and elephant seals. A few giant sea bass as well. LOTS of fry near the kelp.

Site: Deer Creek Road
Date: 06/22/2011 9:00 am (8:58 am low tide @ 0.97ft)
Conditions: 1-2 ft surf, medium surge
Water temp: 57f
Vis: 0-1 ft
Waves were small and broke in close making for easy entries and exits. Visibility was 0-1 ft. Luckily I brought my light along so I could at least see my computer. Surge was like a washing machine. I think maybe Deer Creek may be better at high tide. Does anyone know?

Site: Las Tunas, Malibu - West Reef
Date: 06/29/2011 11:35 pm (8:34 pm high tide @ 6.11ft)
Conditions: 1-2 ft surf, low surge
Water temp: 61f
Vis: 3-5 ft
Entered to the west of the groin because surf was only 1-2 feet next to the groin compared to 3 or so feet over at the east end. Middle entry site with smaller surface swim wasn't doable due to high tide. Vis seems to be improving somewhat. At least it isn't 0 anymore. Water was a nice warm 61. :)

Also,
I didn't log it due to my battery running out on my computer, but at vet's park vis on Sat 06/25/11 at about 9pm was around 5ft and surf was a small 1-2 ft.

Dive Site:Old Marine Land shore dive
Date: 7/3/11
Conditions: ankle surf
Water Temp:61f at 38ft max
Visibility:10ft
Dive Buddys: Dive Vets
Comments: Met the Dive Vets for the first time at Old Marine Land for the LONG but rewarding walk down to the cove area where the entry was as calm as it gets there. Nice dives, all the usual in ABUNDANCE! A bit of surge and a tiny bit of current but neither were a factor. Viz could be better but also could be worse. I hadn't been to OML in about 6 years since it was a bit more rugged and before the resort was even built. It sure has changed. I was a bit sad to see that wonderful land turned into a resort but the resort is lovely and the staff were pleasant to us divers. One staff member even gave a group of divers a ride back to the public parking lot in a large golf cart. I brought a visiting friend and my wife and daughter who spent there hour on the sandy "private" beach at the entry point in the cove. Great spot to bring bubble watchers and young ones! Heading to Leo Carillo tomorrow.

Dive Site: Leo Carillo North
Date: 7/4/11
Conditions: ranging from 0-3+ ft and breaking very shallow. Low tide at 6:23 ish and Hi at about 12:30pm ish.
Water Temp:69f at 20ft max
Visibility:5ft
Dive Buddys: My Wife

My wife, daughter, friend, Gramma, and Grampa all headed to lovely Leo Carillo for a dive and some sandy fun on the 4th of July. We got to the beach at 9am and it was dead but by 11am it was filled with a mass of people. More people than I have EVER seen at Leo Carillo. We waited about two hours to get in hoping high tide would bring in clearer water. It didn't LOL. Lots of surge and the surf was strange ranging from 0 ft to 3+ footers breaking very shallow so timing was crucial and we did well... just okay... but it could have been worse. The kelp on the north side is VERY close to shore this year and that is both good and bad. Nice dive but short. The water was insanely warm at 69f but we did stay very shallow.

Back
Top Bottom