SoCal HOG Repair Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really nice class! I was lucky enough to sit with Rob (rslinger) who was a skilled technician already in his own right. I left the course quite happy, and my regs breathe much nicer now than they did from the factory!

I have yet to dive them and not die, but I'm looking forward to it!

I recommend anyone who is diving HOG regs to take advantage of this course. Really, I think it's as important as an "advanced" course if not more, and the prerequisites are not cumbersome at all. Even if you choose not to service your own regs; after taking this course, you will be able to check the technician's work, or be able to perform service "in the field".

Take the course, take the course, take the course...

I also took the class. It was a great class. I liked the fact that it was small only 5 of us. This allowed Robert to give individual attention to everyone. And as 'undrwater' Russell states above we got valuable input from Rob who has seen plenty of screw ups with "serviced" regs. Makes it kinda scary thinking about how much training did that tech have who just serviced my regs?

Even if you don't take the class read the book Regulator Savvy. It is laid out very thoughtfully with great diagrams and cutaways. For me, it made disassembly/assembly so much cleaner. Recognizing the parts and understanding why they fit the way they do.

This insight helped me to troubleshoot my rebuild when it resulted in a slow creep. What had just taken me all morning to disassemble and assemble now took me less than an hour. The culprit was a seat failure. The seat showed overlapping ring marks, not just one ring impression from the hard seal. Once a new seat was in we attached it to the tank and tuned the stages. I can't wait to breath it underwater. I am confident that it will be great.

Thank you Robert for organizing and holding the class. You were timely and organized and projection setup was great. Thanks to the divers who attended. I know I benefited from your knowledge and insight as well.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

Robert Arak is a knowledgeable and very personable instructor. The class was very professionally done, and better than several manufacturers seminars I have attended. Frank discussion of the advantages and (very few) shortcomings in the HOG design. Even picked up a new/old technique for 2nd stage tuning that I haven't seen used much since my Sherwood days.

Great job, Robert!

And for those of you put off by the imposing list of requirements for the course, don't be. You'll use Reg Savvy over and over, and the tools will last forever. The tech requirements can be worked around by tech nitrox and some discussion with Mr. Arak.

I wanted to say a big thank you to Robert Arak and everyone who helped put this class together. I was lucky enough to be able to attend and really enjoyed the class and learned a ton of valuable and practical information. Wouldn't say I'm quite a regulator expert yet lol but at least I know enough and confident enough to work on my own equipment and be able to fix it with enough time (and I'm sure I will get quicker after working on another couple of regulators). After taking the class, it takes a lot of the mystery out of your equipment and nice to know you can take care of it yourself.

For anyone interested, it's not a light hearted class you take on a whim either and does require dedication and homework to get the most out of it. Some main things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure you read the book ahead of time and have a decent understanding of how the equipment works, makes the class much easier to follow and you will get a lot more out of it.

2) Unless you have some basic repair skills and are comfortable doing at least simple things like changing hoses, adding / removing your 2nd stage, etc you might want to wait to take the class. As long as 8 hours seems, it really flew by! You get right into it and start tearing the equipment apart and there's little time for simple things like removing the port plugs, hoses, etc. It's assumed you already know that and not for people who never touched their equipment and have the shop do everything for them.

3) Although in the long run I'm sure I will save money servicing my equipment, in the short run it is a decent investment getting all the tools, books, etc. If you don't have most of the equipment, you will be spending in the neighborhood of $500 to get everything you need, not including things like an ultrasonic cleaner too. I see it as an investment and well worth it but something to keep in mind.

4) Finally I want to give credit to Robert Arak and say he is a fantastic teacher! He really knows his regulators, is very patient and willing to help, and the class was very well presented. I recommend him without any hesitation to anyone thinking of taking the class. Plus he does teach a lot of other classes such as O2 service technician, gas blending, etc which I might take in the future.

Would I recommend it to anyone else? 100% but only if you have the right mind set and think you will be dedicated enough. For me, more than the money I will save in the long run, I love knowing I can be more independent and take care of myself, esp for the future if I'm out on an expensive trip or traveling and knowing I can handle almost anything that could go wrong.

Robert

WOW! Thank you all for the kind words. It was a great group to teach. Your dedication to reading and preparing for class was apparent and appreciated. In a very short time your skills and ability evolved greatly. It was great to see that and be part of it. Thank you!

An update: I was finally able to dive my rebuilt reg last night, and I obviously didn't die. as a matter of fact, I can't remember breathing a smoother, easier reg in my diving history. No free-flow, no glitches.

Thanks again Robert!

It appears that a couple of you are close to Long Beach/OC ? In the event I purchase a HOG reg, you can provide service, etc ?

It appears that a couple of you are close to Long Beach/OC ? In the event I purchase a HOG reg, you can provide service, etc ?

Speaking for myself I took the class to work on my own regs. That is the intent of the class. Robert Arak may do another class soon so check with him.

under water some where

Happy to report that my regs worked flawlessly this past weekend. I went on a weekend trip to San Clemente Island. The first dive went down to 93 feet without any issues. The next 6 dives were awesome. The regs breathed easily without adjusting the second stage.

I have another 1st and 2nd that I already ordered the service kits for. Next setup should be ready to go for my dives Dec 1st.

Thanks again Robert!

under water some where

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom