Socially Responsible Consumerism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZzzKing:
Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the American Communist Party?:eyebrow:

Being Green, trying to be socially responsible, reducing global warming, reducing oil revenue going back to the MidEast to fund "evil-doers", doing one's bid to ensure a better world for the next generation doesn't mean one is a commie.:no

Sambolino, I agree it's hard to find many manufacturers that fit this criterion. The manufacturers of equipment I use, Dive Rite, Oceanic, OMS, Atomic and Tusa all do not mention on their websites what their policies/operational philosophies are. I try to patronize the LDSs that organize regular clean-ups dives and sign-up with instructors who do community work such as helping the police/coast guard in uw searches, coaching scouts in snorkeling etc. I guess we can start with ourselves, such as car-pooling to get from the LDS to the pool or dive site. I'm saving up to buy a Prius hybrid for getting to local dive sites and getting around.

EvaL:
Being Green, trying to be socially responsible, reducing global warming, reducing oil revenue going back to the MidEast to fund "evil-doers", doing one's bid to ensure a better world for the next generation doesn't mean one is a commie.:no
Surely you don't mean the same evil doers that were funded prior with our tax revenue to kick the russians out of a certain country during the eighties?:shakehead

It does not make one a commie to want to be responsible and make a better world, but hypocracy (not directed at a person here) does not cut it

Meng_Tze:
Surely you don't mean the same evil doers that were funded prior with our tax revenue to kick the russians out of a certain country during the eighties?:shakehead

It does not make one a commie to want to be responsible and make a better world, but hypocracy (not directed at a person here) does not cut it
What is that you say Comrade Diver?

Sorry, but I can't afford to spend 3 times as much on something... I barely make ends meet as it is, and I haven't even had to buy one of these ridiculously overpriced houses yet.

It's either support them or support myself.

The problem is that if you don't pay for it now, we will all have to pay for it later. Is that fair?

Thalassamania:
The problem is that if you don't pay for it now, we will all have to pay for it later. Is that fair?
Somebody is paying for it somewhere, some time, somehow

It is the Tao of things

sambolino44:
Call me a bleeding heart liberal wacko,
OK, you are a bleeding heart liberal wacko or a BHLW (you chose)
To start things off, I've heard some opinions about ScubaPro, their new ownership and corporate structure. Not real sure what to make of that, and would like to know more. Haven't heard so much about this one, but I'm also curious about Posiedon's new owners.

What do you think?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no opinion!

What opinions have you heard about Scuba Pro? New ownership? Corporate structure?

Cheers from California, where Scuba Pro and recreational diving began

SDM

It's our way, lots of apes soil their nest and move on, but we're running out of places to move on to.

Meng_Tze:

You're right. I was 12 in 1981 when the Reagan Administration funded the mujahids (some of whom became Taliban). I couldn't have done anything then, can't do anything now since the people who channeled money to the mujahids are gone, I can only be wary of how our politicians formulate policies. What I meant to say is as I get older and know more (becoming more aware of the impact and consequences of my action on others, on society and on the environment), I'm willing to forego some conveniences if it will lessen the societal/environmental consequences, especially if it doesn't cost an arm and leg. It beats me that so many people are still either apathetic or conveniently "ignorant" about these clearcut issues of the impacts of our actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom