Socially Responsible Consumerism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EvaL:
You're right. I was 12 in 1981 when the Reagan Administration funded the mujahids (some of whom became Taliban).

One in partticular who founded/leads 'that organization "the Base"'

Doc Intrepid:
Halcyon is one (among other) manufacturer(s) who are small, who are progressive, who employ local workers in areas where few other employers exist, and who serve a relatively small percentage of divers. Plus, they make good gear. So check them out, you bleeding heart liberal wacko! :D

http://www.halcyon.net/
I second Doc Intrepid. They're a small company but they make good products and have good customer service (at least, that's been my experience). Leaving politics aside, I've also heard good things about Salvo, although Halcyon has a slightly larger line of products than Salvo.

EvaL:
It beats me that so many people are still either apathetic or conveniently "ignorant" about these clearcut issues of the impacts of our actions.
Like buying Toyota's and shopping at Walmart?
I own Halcyon gear and love the quality, finding local products, or at least U.S. Based goods is hard at times, but can be done. I'm looking at salvo at the moment, maybe I'll buy from them in the future......

mrjimboalaska:
Like buying Toyota's and shopping at Walmart?
I own Halcyon gear and love the quality, finding local products, or at least U.S. Based goods is hard at times, but can be done. I'm looking at salvo at the moment, maybe I'll buy from them in the future......
I buy from Salvo for two reasons ... they've got a great product, and they've got top-notch customer service. It's a plus that Barry and Corey are great people to deal with.

My Salvo 18W light has proven to be one of the best scuba purchases I ever made ... but I guess that's for another thread.

BTW - don't know how long your sig line will be allowed to stay up, but I hope you're right ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i would buy eco friendly for sure. Especially since my hobby relies on a greener world. Everything - EVERYTHING!!!! ends up in the ocean. How can you not try to make a concious effeort to protect it?
I am a vegetarian, buy organic, have rain barrels, a worm composting bin, grow some of my own veggies, herbs, fruits and am on my way to making my home "chemical free" ----oh, and i try to stay away from Wal-mart but its hard. I do all of this to help lower my own impact on the earth which includes our oceans! I think most of us here enjoy the ocean right?

so why are some of you being negative about a very valid inquiry?

What opinions have you heard about Scuba Pro? New ownership? Corporate structure?

Cheers from California, where Scuba Pro and recreational diving began
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sambolina,

Waiting for your reply--inquiring minds want to know!

SDM

If memory serves me correctly there are three factories in the world making regulators. The various companies all get the made there. This is the case (to a lesser extent) with a lot of other gear too. I imagine you could only see this with the smaller niche product companies.

First, I want to say thanks to everyone who has taken this seriously and contributed thoughtful posts.

Second, all I heard about ScubaPro was from some guy in a dive shop who said he didn't like them anymore since they were taken over by Johnson. That the guy who runs ScubaPro now is some rich kid who's daddy bought him the company. He didn't have anything to back it up, no evidence of any changes in quality or service, just a feeling. I just wondered if anybody here had any more substantial info.

1_T_Submariner:
...Free Market will dictate wages and prices. Artificially inflating either or the government regulation of either will eventually cause problems...

The Free Market is a myth. Most people do not know how much government intervention there is in the market. And if someone does not have the knowledge they need to make an informed decision, how can that be a free choice?

1_T_Submariner:
...The wages, benefits of the workers that make the equipment should be based on skill, knowledge etc...

...if you don't treat them word will get out (or should). The company will also have a hard time keeping them and maintaining quality.

Not to pick on Submariner, but my response to this is, "Yeah, you'd think." But it doesn't really work out that way. Worker compensation is subject to a market just like consumer prices. And the main point of this thread is that the word is not getting out. Nobody seems to know anything about any of these companies.

Thalassamania:
...we need to define the terms of "socially or environmentally responsible."

You're right, and I did think of that, but decided to leave it up to the posters to see if some kind of consensus develops. I tried to give a sense of my interpretation with my phrase "progressive/environment-/worker-friendly vs. mega-corp multinational neo-imperialist".

KazooDiver:
...I am sure that there are members of some of the manufactures that are members or at least read through this board that could comment on this topic...

I HOPE SO!!! (Tobin?)

Crazy Fingers:
Sorry, but I can't afford to spend 3 times as much on something... I barely make ends meet as it is... It's either support them or support myself.

AND...

Thalassamania:
The problem is that if you don't pay for it now, we will all have to pay for it later. Is that fair?

AND...

Meng_Tze:
Somebody is paying for it somewhere, some time, somehow

It is the Tao of things

RIGHT ON! It's the un-accounted-for expenses, the "externalities" that I'm concerned with. Wouldn't it be great if we could tell how much, in terms of money, heartbreak, pollution, etc. stuff REALLY cost before we bought it?

EvaL:
You're right. I was 12 in 1981 when the Reagan Administration funded the mujahids (some of whom became Taliban).... It beats me that so many people are still either apathetic or conveniently "ignorant" about these clearcut issues of the impacts of our actions.

Funny, '81 is when I joined the Marine Corps. And it beats me, too. But also, I think most people are neither apathetic nor "conveniently ignorant", they're just plain ignorant because we don't have access to the information we need. The people who control the information have no incentive to divulge it.

NWGratefulDiver:
...BTW - don't know how long your sig line will be allowed to stay up...

OK, call me naive, but can you explain what you mean by this?

Xman:
If memory serves me correctly there are three factories in the world making regulators...

This is the kind of information I'm talking about. I've heard the same kind of stories, but I've never been able to get any further than heresay. It would really be great to find out the specifics, like X reg is made in X factory, located in X, and it's owned by X, which is an X corporation, and they have been checked out by X, and rated on environmental issues by X, and their average-worker-to-CEO compensation ratio is X, and so on. But really, I know better. It'll never happen.

Thanks for the tips about Halcyon and Salvo! Keep 'em coming!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom