Socorro (Mx) vs. Tubbataha (Ph) vs. Palau Liveaboard

Where should I go this year?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibeldyboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about either Socorro in early November, or Tubbataha in July or Palau in August for my yearly liveaboard (~10 days). I'm in the US, so getting to Socorro is significantly easier for flights, but I'm not a stranger to long flights. Last trip was Raja Ampat and Banda Sea (which was absolutely amazing). I'm torn between something different (Socorro seems very different than what I'm used to, focused on big stuff), versus Tubbataha or Palau which have beautiful reefs and huge biodiversity.

Other thoughts are Malpelo (I've done 200+ dives, some in quite some current including downcurrents, but heard that Malpelo can get crazy, should I be nervous?) or Cocos (but very expensive and that it's overly regulated these days).

Would love to hear some opinions here :)

Tubataha is great but you can’t do it in July. Season is only like mid-March to mid-June, and probably best if you can avoid the extreme ends of the season. The boats fill up so you might need to plan ahead or get lucky.

I'm going back to Malpelo this July, first time I have repeated a liveaboard. I have been to Cocos, Galapagos snd the Revillagigedos. The park requires AOW and 50 dives, guide I use, Sten Johansson, requires 200 dives with appropriate variety.

I've dove Raja Ampat and the Galapagos, one trip each via liveaboard, not the 3 you asked about, so take this with a grain of salt.

You mentioned Cocos Island. Be aware tiger sharks are now a 'thing,' there. Some people would love that, some not so much. If Cocos is an interest, I'd start by doing a forum search for trip reports there by @Dan

Given that you're already experienced Raja Ampat and the Banda Sea on a trip, and have an interest in something different, the Socorros sound like a fine option. When I was researching options of that type of diving, it seemed that was the cheapest of the somewhat similar set (Galapagos, Cocos Island, Malpelo, Socorros) for big animal Pacific ocean diving in the Americas.

I made a thread on planning my Galapagos trip back in 2020; if you scroll down to Post #6, it's got a list of links to Socorros threads. Post #7 links to Cocos Island-related content, including the tiger shark issue.

If you're interested in Palau, did you see the @Doc Harry report, Palau Dec 2022-Jan 2023 on the Palau Siren? Or for Tubbataha, @jjmochi Tubbataha Mar/Apr. 2022 (Philippine Siren) Trip Review by jjmochi.

Second Malpelo, going back for second time end Jan 2024 which hopefully should be peak Hammerhead time.
Ferox is a great boat and works really well for diving with single cabins too. I have experienced much worse currents in the like of Nusa Lembongan,Maldives and Raja so I would not worry about that.

Socorro (been 4x) and Tubbataha are both awesome, but I think July is past the season for Tubbataha. Palau (been 2x) is meh to me. I do most of my diving in Indonesia so Palau is a let down. Socorro is so much fun but keep in mind it has a long crossing but once you get there the diving is off the hook. Hammerheads, dolphins, manta and so many other species of sharks. We have also seen whalesharks in November/December as well. if you are a photographer with an expensive housing, keep in mind as an extra expense that you might get taxed on your gear. There are threads on here about this. If you just goPro it then no problem.

palau is a good mix if you want some reefs and macro (below komodo/raja but competitive with philippines). good shark action but not as much of the biggest stuff (tigers/whale sharks/hammers are rare in palau) and the mantas are generally smaller than socorro.

i will rate my trips on the palau aggressor as some of my most relaxing vacations though, even with a long flight through hawaii and guam. less hassle than dealing with transfers in indonesia, best food i've had on a liveaboard, and a well oiled machine when it comes to pulling off the dives.

I’ve been to Komodo, Raja Ampat, Socorro, Palau, Galapagos, and Cocos several times. Went to Malpelo once in July 2021 with @scubadada and plan to go back there this coming July. I booked a trip to Tubbataha in June 2024.

Based on my past experiences and what I read about Tubbataha, including the travels from USA, I would say Socorro would be an easy pick from your list.

I think I’ve been sufficiently talked into Socorro, and maybe Malpelo the next year after I get my feet wet in Socorro. Also very tempted to book Triton Bay for next April, so might be a very fishy few years. My wallet cries.

Reactions: Dan
Triton Bay is also in my short list for 2024.

I’ll be in Forgotten Islands (near Triton Bay) in April this year (inching towards Triton Bay 😜).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom