sodium-acetate heat pads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OH-JJ:
I must be missing something then as it looks to me that the hotsnapz activates the same as all the rest, that is via the metal snap disc.

How are people wearing these? I was thinking of Between my farmer john and my top.

The (Solutions) belt we are using has one mesh side and one flocked neoprene side. The neoprene side must be worn against the body. If the mesh side is worn against the skin it will get too hot. We had our pioneer end up with what amounted to a heat rash and a speedy strip and quench.

I have worn it against my skin or over a 3mm vest and under my full suit. Either way you are putting BTUs in your thermal envelope.

Pete

We've been using the packs from Quantum Heat for several years. Our lobster diving friends who go out for multiple dives use them as well. Janene also has used them in her dry suit. We buy them by the dozen for friends and get a modest discount. Their first purchase price is higher than the next purchase price. The packs, when delivered, have a re-order price sheet. Aslo there's a special every x-mas. They are reputable people, had some difficulty with one shipment and they addressed the issue immediately and threw in a few extra with the next order. The packs last a for about an hour. They are reusable with heating in boiling water for 10-20 minutes. Over time a few have failed or leaked but we treat them roughly. I had some extra 1.5 mil neoprene so a friend had a seamstress make pouches. We put the pack in the pouch and then place it next to the skin, no burn. The size that we decided on is the 8x12. This isn't an ad for Quantum Heat we just like the product and the service.

OK I think I will try this out.

However, What happens if one breaks while you are wearing one? any risks?

My understanding is these are made from baking soda and vinegar, so in theory no. These are used in the medial industry, meant to be used unsupervised, and again I'd like to think they wouldn't give you something that could hurt.

spectrum:
I have worn it against my skin or over a 3mm vest and under my full suit. Either way you are putting BTUs in your thermal envelope.

Pete

Obviously you have used these 'wet', in Maine, where you have cold water and you think they are worth it?

What temps are you diving wet in?

Cheers,

Chris

paddler3d:
Obviously you have used these 'wet', in Maine, where you have cold water and you think they are worth it?

What temps are you diving wet in?

Cheers,

Chris

Worth it, heck yes, but I don't bother with them for every dive by any stretch.

My wife and I used them in October when the temps were borderline for her and it made a big difference in 50F.

I have used them in the summer to let me be comfortable in a 5mm suit and dive free with less weight in the low 60sF.

It's surprising how a little heat applied to the kidney area helps the whole body.

Pete

I used one years ago in a wetsuit up here. It was advertised to last for an hour, but in our cold water it only lasted for about 10 minutes. I only used it about 5 times and gave up. It didn't really make any difference to me. One "diving doctor" thing I read was that having something warm next to your skin tricks your body into sending blood to the surface of your body causing more rapid cooling of your core (unless that warm object was covering a large portion of your body.

I believe that there is a different type of heat pack that relies on air for teh chemical reaction. Were you by any chance using one of this type?

~Jess

No risks from a leak, the stuff is nontoxic. As for the argument that it causes peripheral dilitation and therefore doesn't work- have you tried it? It works just fine.

I am a happy past user of these packs. Back when I was diving wet I used a 9*18 (appx) pack that I would tuck in at my abdomen between a diveskin and my farmer john bottom. Under a wetsuit there is very little risk of thermal injuries unless there is a significant delay between activation and water entry.

With regard to the stiffening, they start off liquid and very pliable. Upon activation the reaction turns the liquid into more of a thick "slush" than a true solid. This slush is still relatively flexible and as it hardens it will be molded against the body. There might be flexibility issues if the pack was right at a joint, but anywhere on the torso I would say no issue.

I haven't used these since going dry, but now I'm wishiing I could remember who I loaned mine to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom