Sofirn SD01 + Orcatorch WS02 DIY primary light...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It uses 4x 18650 rechargeable batteries that come with it. You can run it with fewer batteries as well, it just won't run as long. The light is pretty heavy compared to something like a Dive Rite LX20+ for example. Very bright and beefy.

I have a Sofirn SD05 as one of my backups. Can be had for <$40... can't beat it. I prefer it over the DGX lights for example. It uses a single rechargeable 21700.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend the SD01, to be honest, unless you use it with the handle as it comes. It's kind of a large/bulky light and the design could be improved... a lot. The SD05 on the other hand I'd recommend as a 2nd or 3rd backup.
Boriss,
Any clue what the approximate beam angle is on the SD05? I can't find much info other than lumens etc...

Looks like a lot of light for the $.

After being so impressed with my first SD05, I ordered a second as well as some batteries based on reviews of Sofirn's battery quality. Unfortunately it was a bust--the flashlight doesn't work, and I got 26650 batteries instead of 21700. They did send several cheapo flashlights I didn't order, however, which was nice, but I'd rather have a working SD05 and the right batteries. They have been responsive so far--I need to send them a video of the issue I have with the SD05--so I'm still hopeful. The 18650 batteries I received from them seem fine, as does the one 21700 battery I received in the SD05. The flashlight just doesn't work.

After being so impressed with my first SD05, I ordered a second as well as some batteries based on reviews of Sofirn's battery quality. Unfortunately it was a bust--the flashlight doesn't work, and I got 26650 batteries instead of 21700. They did send several cheapo flashlights I didn't order, however, which was nice, but I'd rather have a working SD05 and the right batteries. They have been responsive so far--I need to send them a video of the issue I have with the SD05--so I'm still hopeful. The 18650 batteries I received from them seem fine, as does the one 21700 battery I received in the SD05. The flashlight just doesn't work.
Would you recommend this light given your experience so far?
Also, would it be possible to mount this to a hard Goodman handle?

I would definitely recommend it for the price. Caveat—I have not dived with it other than a quick pool session. The second one I ordered was bad, but they sent a replacement quickly.

No idea on mounting—I use it in my hand.

It looks like Sofirn is running another sale. For those of you who have ordered from them, how long did delivery from China take?

I'm looking to buy a torch and stumbled upon the Sofirn D05. Seems like a good value for money. A few things I wonder about:
1. it needs to be unscrewed to charge the battery. Is there a significant risk of it leaking afterwards (say if a grain of sand gets caught)?
2. does it show the remaining battery run time (e.g. a green / yellow / red light) so you know you need to dial down to make it?
3. I want a light for nightdiving and looking inside cracks or illuminating a deep dive a bit. Something to always have with me. I'm a beginner and don't know how many lumens I need though. But 300 - 1000 - 3000 should cover various needs, right?
4. The Sofirn doesn't seem to have an emergency setting. Is this an issue? Should any dive torch have some sort of blinking mode?
5. It doesn't come with a wrist band, so I guess I would attach it to the BCD using a bolt snap and / or use a wrist strap (the kind with a soft velcro attachment like offered by Mares or Sealife)

Would you recommend this light given your experience so far?
Also, would it be possible to mount this to a hard Goodman handle?
I have a SD05 with 40 dives on it as my primary, all between 100 and 140'.

I'll admit I did not trust it so, mounted it next to a corded light on a Goodman handle. Hasn't failed yet and is a great light overall. Well worth $40

My only gripe is the lack of a hole for a bolt snap, I ordered a second one and the issue is fixed on that one.

Buy 2, I did.

Another iteration on Sofirn SD01 handle journey: I have been liking the setup I posted about previously for drysuit, but I'm about to head to the tropics, and some protruding screws on that one dig into the back of my hand. I saw this post and decided to make a version for the SD01.

I got a piece of 1/4" delrin and have been playing around. My V1 is made with 8mm super stout and slightly abrasive bungee. I will probably make another with 6mm bungee to see how that feels in comparison. The last photo is my sketch and cardboard mockup.

Only a literal dry run at this point, but it feels solid, just a little intense with the heavy duty 8mm bungee.

Attachments

• 20230513_211714.jpg
    20230513_211714.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230513_211740.jpg
    20230513_211740.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 20230513_211755.jpg
    20230513_211755.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230513_211653.jpg
    20230513_211653.jpg