Sogod Bay Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water temps mid Feb was 27/28 C. Was told that it gets colder later in the year. That was one reason suggested why there were no W.Sharks, water was still too warm.

Best dive site was Napantao. Which is on the other side of the bay,about 40-60 mins by boat. Generally you stay out for 2 dives before returning for lunch. Pier night dive is a must. Very shallow. Most dives tended to be deep. Only time I have ever gone into Deco.

Diving was easy,little current,great viss. Surface conditions calm.

Peters is next door to Sogod Bay resort. 50m along the beach. They appear to be very similar in terms of boats,size,type of accom.
Sogod is 3 hrs drive from airport.

Hmm... Tough to say... Each have their pros and cons.

Malapascua - postcard white beaches, threshers, mantas, wrecks, gato island, and some cool macro critters around.

PG - great macro, more mid size fish life (groupers, etc), fun drift dives, and plenty of topside entertainment and restaurants to choose from.

Sogod - absolutely nothing to do besides diving... Resorts are nice but basic. Nice place to go if you just want to wind down and enjoy some good diving. Rocky beaches. Not much to see topside in the area. But the chance to dive with whale sharks and the much underated Napantow (sp?) Wall makes up for this. That plus some pretty cool night muck diving at the nearby Padre Burgos town pier.

In your opinion what is your number 1, 2 & 3 favorites....my guess is in the order you listed them.

1. Malapascua
2. PG
3. Sogod

I'm starting to lean towards PG due to the additional time to get to Sogod and losing about 3 dives due to the time limitations I have.

In your opinion what is your number 1, 2 & 3 favorites....my guess is in the order you listed them.

1. Malapascua
2. PG
3. Sogod

I'm starting to lean towards PG due to the additional time to get to Sogod and losing about 3 dives due to the time limitations I have.

I have never been to PG but I would recommend one other location - Apo Island/Dumaguete. Apo Island is tied with Malapascua as my favorite place to dive. Somes schools of fish (jacks and baracuda), sea turtles, eels (blue ribbon) and good night dive in front of the shop. If you stay on the island you can dive around it on at least 10 different dives within a 10 minute boat dive. Apo only has about 3 hours of electricity a day and no night life as its lights out at 9pm. You could stay at a resort on the larger island and have more entertainment options and still dive Apo. I've been there twice and had great dives both times. I've been to Malapascua about 6 times. Malapascua has more variety of dive sites and more restaurants/resorts to eat and drink at.

Good luck deciding.

There's a new place opening up - Padre Burgos Castle. Not a dive resort but offers an alternative place to stay and plenty of options for non-diving activities. Sounds great for mixed groups of divers and non-divers.

I think I made my decision. Being I have only 5 days...going to Sogod I will lose a few dives. So I think this time around it will be PG.

No need to compare. Sogod Bay in Southern Leyte has its own distinct underwater features in contrast to PG or Malapascua. Better come over here and see for yourself. I don't not have to tell you but ,we, divers, always expect the unexpected. The pics speak for itself, so you better make your choice as well.

When you say "better to over here and see for yourself" I am coming over there in March. Being I have only 5 days to dive I do not want to spend it on a plane or waiting in Airports. Is your point that Sogod is much better the PG?

Back
Top Bottom