Solid vs. split fins

Solid or split fins

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katekicks

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Scuba Pro Twin Jet fins when I first got started because that's what the LDS recomended. I have bad knees and sometimes have pain while diving with my twin jets. Wildcard recommended I try a solid fin and I rented a pair, but I didn't like the pair of rental fins either and it felt like I was working harder. So any comments from the peanut gallery about split fins vs. solid?

I voted split because the one time I did try a pair of split fins they were noticeably easier on my knees. I use Geniuses Aqua-flex fins now.
Ray

I use tusa xpert zoom. It's easy and light,but down side is that there isnt muich power. I tried my friend's jets and it was comfy and powerful, good for powering through currents.
I would choose soild fins over splits.

i say solid because they are easier in currents, easier for geting in position for picts. and less of an entanglement hazard.

I tried a few different types of fins before deciding and my personal pref is the Twinjet. Much easier on the legs, knees, and general tiredness. I have tried the X-pert Zoom and didn't like them. I have tried and sold my Jets (Painfull at the end of a long swim.) I haven't learned all the kicks that some say don't work with splits but the Flutter, Skulling and Dolphin work fine and have much more power than the other fins I have tried.

Scuba Twin Jet for me, used it since August when I got certified, probably can't use anything else.

I first dove with tusa splits(50 dives), then swapped to turtles. I found that i worked harder for the first 3 to 5 dives, then i chilled a bit. Once i chilled out and got used to them i actually kick less with them conpaired to splits, with about the same force.

I don't think a poll is going to tell you which fins will make your knees happy. Especially since you've now tried both types and neither did it for you. Maybe you just have to try more fins, or maybe there's a technique issue or you should be trying different kicks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom