Solo Diving Article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be doing the SDI Solo course in June. For me it's a bit of a stepping stone to advance to technical training, and I'm interested in the topics to improve self-reliance and dive planning. The recreational training left much to be desired, I'm amazed how much I didn't know when I received my OW cert.. and lots yet to learn. I also do photography, so not the best buddy at times!

where exactly is the SDI solo course being put on? how does one get into it?any information is greatly appreciated.

amascuba:
I found a good article on scubadiving.com about solo diving. Check it out:

http://www.scubadiving.com/training/specialty_and_advanced/solo_certification:_it's_time/

Interesting article at SDI. I did my open water through SDI. They think different then some of the other agencies. After looking over lots of posts here in Solo Divers I always feel the same way. Happy ! :D

God willing I'll make dive 100 in May. So far I have 10 solo dives. I do not even begin to proclaim that I'm a master diver or even an advanced diver. Though I've made some cool dives I do not ever want to be labled as a poser. I love learning and I'm interested in diving and not collecting cards. Not that there is anything wrong with collecting cards I just don't.
I do seem to think that some people feel they can just go out and get a C card for a specialty and they are then suddenly masters of the universe or something. For instance, I thought that post in this thread about having a divemaster with only 50 dives was pretty humorous... and sort of sick too. It seems we are surrounded by that sort of thing. Lately , I've seen people with maybe 15 dives that have aquired 5 C cards already. They talk up a storm but underwater they will scare you bad. They actually think they know what they are doing too.

I look at them and wonder if they ever sent for that "Free Art Test" or paid to become a "Fashion Model" or called for an "Inventors Kit".

What ever blows they're skirt I guess......

On the bright side, most of them crave attention and social praise. Diving solo won't give them that so they won't like it. :wink:

waterpirate:
IMO this is an area that the agency's should stay out of. Suddenly there will be a push to be a solo diver card holder, and they will be there with their hand out for the money. Diving allready has enough c-cards to last a lifetime, and people who are card collectors to match.
Eric

Yes, agree! They need to leave this one small minority of divers alone. This is our last little unregulated place to go. What I love is when peope against it tell me I am not a "real" solo diver because I haven't been "trained". So, now I guess we need a new label. :pity_part

catherine96821:
Yes, agree! They need to leave this one small minority of divers alone. This is our last little unregulated place to go. What I love is when peope against it tell me I am not a "real" solo diver because I haven't been "trained". So, now I guess we need a new label. :pity_part

Well actually there are several places in the US that require a card to dive solo...:D

Ugh, where? avoid those places, there are probably other problematic regulations for me. Regulatory hell, one of my deepest fears.

Timeliner:
Interesting article at SDI. I did my open water through SDI. They think different then some of the other agencies. After looking over lots of posts here in Solo Divers I always feel the same way. Happy ! :D

God willing I'll make dive 100 in May. So far I have 10 solo dives. I do not even begin to proclaim that I'm a master diver or even an advanced diver. Though I've made some cool dives I do not ever want to be labled as a poser. I love learning and I'm interested in diving and not collecting cards. Not that there is anything wrong with collecting cards I just don't.
I do seem to think that some people feel they can just go out and get a C card for a specialty and they are then suddenly masters of the universe or something. For instance, I thought that post in this thread about having a divemaster with only 50 dives was pretty humorous... and sort of sick too. It seems we are surrounded by that sort of thing. Lately , I've seen people with maybe 15 dives that have aquired 5 C cards already. They talk up a storm but underwater they will scare you bad. They actually think they know what they are doing too.

I look at them and wonder if they ever sent for that "Free Art Test" or paid to become a "Fashion Model" or called for an "Inventors Kit".

What ever blows they're skirt I guess......

On the bright side, most of them crave attention and social praise. Diving solo won't give them that so they won't like it. :wink:

Good post Timeliner. I see a lot of "Super Divers" out there too. You're right when you say that a lot of them don't know how much more they have to learn. In diving as with most things in life, I don't think you ever reach the point of "knowing it all", no matter how long you have been doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom