solo diving info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been getting wet a long time. And I've been an Instructor for a number of years. I solo dive. When I dive with someone I don't know I'm always watching them not much fun. When I'm with my friends like this Christmas in the Keys. The 3 of us were all old Instructors but the only way you can keep us all together is to chain us. The Divemaster knew we entered the water together then he seen our bubbles go different ways and then meet again and surface. I guess some of the rest of the group seen us alone and was freaking a Little. The Divemaster ended up telling the other guests we were OK to dive by ourselves.

Don't take me wrong to solo dive you should have a 2nd air source. But you have to be able to get yourself out of any do-do you come across this means you have to have a cool head and be trained to be self reliable.

When you take a wreck or cave class they stress you have to act like your there by yourself you have to be able to self-rescue don't depend on your buddy.
This is true in solo diving. Do not try it to your very comfortable with your skills.

But if the three of us are on a wreck we never seperate beyond our sight and if we are inside were on a line.

reeldive:
Ok here goes-- Know that I'll catch a lot of flak but want to know

Seems that SOLO DIVING is one of those things that needs to be adressed. I dive with a cameras more than any thing else. Locally most divers are steel slingers, ie. spearfishing. They are. by practice, solo divers!! not one of them can produce any thing that says they'er certified as solo divers. What this means to me is that I frequently find my self in a solo diver situation. That means that I cut my dive short and do a slow accent( with saftey stop) and spend the next 20 - 30 min watching bubbles. I tried to look into the SOLO DIVER sub forum to find out about training and certification only to find out that , if I ain't one I ain't welcome== THANKS you bunch of sanctamonious AH's. Maybe that is why there are so many UNCERTIFIED solo guy's out there.

Any way now that I've got that offf my chest=== what agencies do such training? Are there any in the Panama City, FL area.

Maybe I just need to give up on local diveing as it just ain,t safe as there just aint such a thing as buddy diveing in the PC area

I personally do not exclude anyone from a discussion. Solo divers can be compared to atheists. Some atheists are defiance based others are knowledge based. It is the same with solo divers. Some are defiance based and dive solo from this defiance and a need to be a maverick. Others solo divers are knowledge based and use education, certification and standards to support their decision to dive solo. That is my experience with solo divers I have com in connect with via the net.

With me it is go solo or do not dive for the most part. I have no buddies other than my wife who works and I am retired. So I have to go it alone. The good solo diver practices special precautions to go with the soloing. I don't dive too deep (60 to 70 ft max, but usually 40 to 50 ft) I also do not do dangerous and technical dives while soloing. I carry a stand alone, redundant air source of decent capacity (13 cf to 19 cf) and carry back up essentials such as multiple cutting tools. In addition I train year round practice skills such as mask and regulator recovery and free diving to train for our of air emergencies.

Many deaths have occurred with 'crazy buddies' killing off their assigned buddy diver in a panic. So there is no guarantee either way of buddy or solo. I'd prefer to solo in most cases instead of being pared up with some unknown entity that would kill me in a fit of craziness. Many times I will take a snorkel to check out of an area before soloing. Same with kayaking whitewater, I scout out the rapids. Some solo divers scoff at redundant pony tanks. Diving solo and deep enough without redundant air...that is a death wish. That is where I draw the line.BTW, much prejudice with solo diving. I was turned away a few springs in Fla while solo.

A good book on the subject is:

Solo Diving, 2nd Edition: The Art of Underwater Self-sufficiency (Paperback)
by Robert Von Maier

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881652289/102-3540439-2020153?v=glance&n=283155

Although, just like solo diving itself, their are extreme views as to the helpfulness of this book. I liked it in any case.

SDI Solo Diver Specialty Certification

INTRODUCTION

The objective of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for diving solo. Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may engage in solo diving activities.

STUDENT PREREQUISITES
A. Minimum age: 21 years.
B. Minimum certification of Advanced Diver or equivalent.
C. Minimum of 100 logged dives.
D. Review and complete Medical History form and Liability Release form.
E. Review and complete Solo Diver Release form.

EXECUTION AND STRUCTURE
A. Open water execution:
1. Two open water dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs;
2. All dives must include surface interval, max. no-deco time, etc., to be figured out and logged during the debriefing.
B. Course structure: SDI allows instructors to structure courses according to the number of students participating and
their skill level.

REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
A. Basic SDI open water scuba equipment (exception: "safe second" or "octopus" is not allowed as redundant air
source).
B. One of the following must be used as a redundant air source: pony bottle, twin cylinders with isolation valve,
independent doubles, Spare Air(TM).

REQUIRED SKILL PERFORMANCE
Skills are to be performed in the open water. In order to complete this course, the student must demonstrate
understanding of the techniques to properly execute a solo dive.
A. Swimming skills: Perform a surface swim of 200 meters in full scuba gear (gear configuration appropriate to local
diving conditions). Must be nonstop and performed in an open water environment.
B. Scuba skills:
1. Demonstrate adequate predive planning;
2. Determine limits based on personal gas consumption;
3. Perform exact dive and/or decompression profile.
C. Properly execute the planned dive within all predetermined limits:
1. Equipment configuration appropriate for solo diving:
a. streamlining equipment;
b. use and carry of redundant air supply.
2. Proper descent/ascent rates.
3. Proper safety stop procedures: monitoring of decompression status equipment (tables, computers, equipment).
D. Navigation skills:
1. Demonstrate proficiency of navigation with compass;
2. Demonstrate emergency change-over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 100 fsw /
30 msw;
3. Deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device.

GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
In order to complete this course, students must:
A. Satisfactorily complete the Solo Course written examination.
B. Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently.
C. Demonstrate mature, sound judgement concerning dive planning and execution.

GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates will be issued the SDI Solo Diver Specialty certification card.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom