Solo practice dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was learning to dive I spent many hours in the pool alone.

​There is a significant difference to working out in a pool and open water, I practice my skill sets in a pool environment and find that even in a pool with people you are in fact alone, as few in swimming pools are in fact divers. Working on buoyancy, doff and don equipment and as well mask clearing in a pool is a good way to refresh your skill sets. As to open water over the last five years in addition to my lifetime total I have over 450 solo dives, I operated a small dive business in a small beach town in Virginia as to service on boats, as well as rescue, recovery diving. Using both surface air, (hookah) and SCUBA as well as Hookah for SCUBA. Realistically the practice of solo diving is frowned upon, but as someone noted there is no "SCUBA POLICE FORCE" and in essence diving alone can be enjoyed as much as with a partner, however you have the right idea of pool practice. In your weight planning remember depending on the chemistry chlorine is different that salt treatments, calculate your weight at 10% of your body weight (dependant upon the thickness of your wetsuit and as well 5 lbs for your tank if using an 80cfi tank, if you are wearing a shorty or 3mm 5% is usually the norm. Saltwater weighting due to increased buoyancy is different than fresh significantly. But regardless let someone know you are practicing with SCUBA, I prefer to boat dive solo as opposed to shore dive, but have entered the water from just about every angle and access. Just remember to stay within your limits of skill training which you would do as well with a partner. BE SAFE First.

Here's something to know:

Any instructor worth his/her name can and gladly will teach you in an afternoon what you might never learn on your own with a lot of time in the pool.

As an example, you say you wish to learn to frog kick, and to practice neutral buoyancy. One is an absolute requirement for the other, and the fact you list them both as goals means that an instructor can sort things out for you easily just by making sure you are not trying to do the first without conquering the second.

On the other hand if you want to have fun in the pool, go for it.

Also, most instructors would love free access to even a tiny pool, let alone an Olympic size pool. I bet you could easily trade for some lessons from a local instructor in trade for time in the pool for classes.

Last edited:
I think you are totally safe if someone is in the area and will observe if you have a problem. I am a DM with over 500 dives and about that many hours in pool in addition, and while I have been alone in the pool with no one else there for short and simple maintenance work, I do not like being in the pool unless someone knows I'm there, and is at least in the area. Even "solo diving" in a lake or ocean should involve surface support- someone to at least report you missing, if not otherwise able to help if things go wrong.
DivemasterDennis

I don't see an issue with being the only diver in a pool. However, I think it's entirely prudent to ensure that you have some surface support/supervision whilst doing that.

Some people seem to view being solo as 'exhilarating'. That's nothing but being a 'risk junkie'... taking risks for risks own sake, just so you can pat yourself on the back. For those of us that don't need to bolster otherwise rampant insecurities, making every allowance for increased safety is the prudent approach.

Whilst you are, undoubtably, pretty safe - solo or otherwise - in a swimming pool, you are more safe with some surface support. So, if feasible, arrange that support.

I think there's a difference between adding risk...for risk's sake... and conducting dives that are of higher magnitude risk, to complete other goals. Adding risks where they needn't arise is diametrically opposed to working in a dangerous environment, yet taking every opportunity to mitigate the risks encountered.

How many cave divers "need" to be in those caves? I'd say everything about diving is about assuming unnecessary risk and much of the industry is based on "selling" people the idea of having an adventure worth relating around the water cooler. Why else would anyone swim with a shark?

How many cave divers "need" to be in those caves? I'd say everything about diving is about assuming unnecessary risk and much of the industry is based on "selling" people the idea of having an adventure worth relating around the water cooler. Why else would anyone swim with a shark?

I don't know if it is as simple as that. I swim with sharks when I can, and I don't think it has anything to do with risk. For example, it is thrilling to watch a school of scalloped hammerheads swim by only a few feet from you, and because you know that they have no interest whatsoever of eating you, there is no real element of danger.

Similarly, people I know who dive in caves (including me) seem to love to swim through anything that is remotely like a cave, even when the element of danger is about nil. Perhpas tehre is something Freudian in it (return to the womb? Re-enacting one's birth?). I don't know.

I'll always have a spotter with me and the pool has at least two lifeguards at all times.

Rudy, as someone that did weekly pool practice before the pool closed for maintenance . . .

1 - as was said -- YOU are responsible for planning and diving safely. No one else.

2 - Educate the lifeguards. Brief them and your surface support before the dive. "Today I'm going to do hovering practice, so if I sit still in one place for several minutes, don't worry unless the bubbles don't come up regularly.

3- Make a plan on how they contact YOU -- Our pool requires everyone out if lightening is near. The guards will flash the pool lights for me to come up. Arrange a safe place to come up. Alternative - someone drops a soft weight (SOFT WEIGHT - don't damage the pool!) in your line of sight. Hopefully not on you.

4 - Be courteous. Don't surface in the way of a swimmer. If you find things, turn them in to the lifeguards.

5 - Put boots on your tanks -- think "no damage to the pool". Just a small chip goes a long way to permanent damage to divers' reputations.

6 - Be aware of special risks in a pool. Danglies can get caught in pool filter grates . . . which happen to be a nice landmark for doing helicopter turns, or aid in a straight reverse kick line.
. . . . Practice situational awareness by knowing where swimmers are at all times. Coming up under a swimmer is bad juju!

7 - Be courteous - when someone comes up and tells you about the bubbles tickling and they didn't know you were down there, first express apologetically, "I hope I didn't alarm you!" A caviler laugh-it-off attitude can cause the swimmers to cop an attitude, while solicitous responses do make it a fun tale to tell.

8 - Know that you are a representative of the sport to people who haven't seen diving before. Take a little time to chat and encourage . . . and if you like your LDS, lay a few of their business cards down with your gear. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom