Solo - sticking to recreational limits?

Do you do technical dives while solo?

• I solo only within recreational limits (or minor transgressions)

Votes: 54 62.1%
  • I solo with staged decompression obligations

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • I solo with technical wreck penetrations

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I solo in a cave environment

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I solo while combining decompression and overhead

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any dive I'd do with a buddy I'd do solo. As DA said though there are some I'd rather do without a buddy where due to the complexity of the dive or conditions a buddy would be a distraction.

I have done all the above while being extremely conservative.
When I plan any it is as a solo dive whether I am alone or not.
My solo deco dive was a result of my buddy bailing at the last possible moment he had a failure on the back of the boat.
I was told to rock on so I did.
I had a fantastic dive @ 150' with about 15 min. inside the wreck by myself it was very peaceful.
75 min. run time total 30 min of bottom with very conservative deco stops.

I have had several cave dives that were not long in duration but pretty small cave with some interesting flow.
Very fun, extremely conservative and would rather dive with a buddy but he would not fit
I do solo dives but would rather dive with a buddy on most dives.

If they are not comfortable or trained I would rather dive by myself if doing any overhead or deco.
This is mainly planned dives or chartered if it is a fun dive I will alter my plan to one they are comfortable with.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Most of the time I'm in the 30-60 ft range. Occasionally, I will explore to the 130 ft limit or there 'bouts.

I plan my solo dives on contingency - I have to be fairly certain that I can resolve any and all issues that arise. So conditions of the dive play a huge role. I routinely do pool one breath swims for 30 meters (without any prebreathing, to simulate actual scenario of out-of-air) and I did 30 meter ascents in my training, so I am confident in exiting an out-of-air scenario from 30 meters (yes, every single piece of gear, including air supply, is doubled or tripled, but still.... ). So a tech dive with 30 meters visibility to 60 meters "feels" equivalent to a 15-20 meters dive in murky water and dangers of overhead boat traffic and entanglement... I love solo dives but a good team is my first choice - everything is so much easier...

My local solo dives do not exceed 22M, I would need a shovel to go deeper.

Soloing beyond rec limits is significantly more risky. It took me while to make the jump. I use lower pO2 limts for safety, e.g., I use 100% O2 no deeper than 10 feet.

I stay well within rec limits. I dive for fun and I am just more relaxed if I don't hit deco or push any limit.

Some of the recent threads got me thinking. I keep my solo diving to recreational limits as opposed to doing technical dives solo. Don't get me wrong, I do technical dive, just with a buddy or two.

The decision to solo only within recreational limits is partly some conservatism on my part and partly because I already feel that I am way out there in terms of being solo. The stigma of being a tech solo is just too much for me to contemplate.

I became curious as to how many others do solo within the technical realm. I am not talking about wracking up 2 minutes of deco while on a solo dive, but rather about planning and executing a full technical dive while solo.

If the objectives of the dive are compatible to going solo then aside from the gas/contingency plan, being solo makes a bigger difference to how I get in and out of my drysuit than it does to how I dive.

In terms of wreck penetrations, for the most part I feel more comfortable doing them solo anyway. A lot of local wreck divers "walk Darwin on a leash" and I only have 1 buddy who I really trust to be inside a wreck with me. And sometimes we just don't both fit.

R..

My local solo dives do not exceed 22M, I would need a shovel to go deeper.

I am withdrawing this statement, ended up doing a 30M solo last Sunday when the DM bailed after 12 mins. Anyway I was well prepared and even though it was my first time soloing at that depth I had no issues, although I probably over monitored my gauges more than usual in particular when it got close to my NDL time. Stacks of gas though I surfaced after two 3 min stops with 90 bar :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom