Solo Wreck Dive Video Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I dream about diving, it's that same endless blue with wrecks and fish as in DD's video.

Forgetting everything else, why in the world would you dive solo deep with yoke attachments on your regulators? Even the big shot deep air guys from the 90's got rid of their yoke attachments and used DIN.

I just have not made the change. I've only had one yoke O-ring failure underwater.. so far. It made for some interesting video.

I have a lot of tanks and regs. It would be a pretty big deal to change everything over to DIN. The stage bottle was DIN
(if that helps?)

I just have not made the change. I've only had one yoke O-ring failure underwater.. so far. It made for some interesting video.

I have a lot of tanks and regs. It would be a pretty big deal to change everything over to DIN. The stage bottle was DIN
(if that helps?)
I think his point was that if you had your one yoke failure on this dive, you would have been faced with close to a free ascent from 225 feet.....as a freediver, you might make 30 feet where you could hit your 80/20...and you might even hit it at 100 feet and hope....the deal is that as a solo diver at this depth, you need some redundancy....And , using gear that you know can fail--and without a back up, is not one of the better ways to make it to a ripe old age. Best you could hope for in this failure scenario is a serious case of DCS.
It's not about whether the dive CAN be done like this...Plenty of us know divers that did 300 feet on a single 72 back in the 60's or 70's. It's about the way most of us think we can do this --without it having too much in common with Russian Roulette.

I was carrying a small pony of air, a big single and a stage of 80%. I always have a pony when deeper than 60 feet.

I also (hope) that the boat would throw me a full bottle of 80% if I came to surface and asked for it.

When I am on the boat, I prefer to snorkel over the diver when they reach the shallow deco in order to keep an eye on things.

I figure I can probably withstand a complete failure of any one of those bottles and still make it out without injury (and without surface help).

If I had two failures...(other than a pony failure and a stage bottle failure) - things would not be good...

I was carrying a small pony of air, a big single and a stage of 80%. I always have a pony when deeper than 60 feet.

I also (hope) that the boat would throw me a full bottle of 80% if I came to surface and asked for it.

Or that the boat would already have it hanging at 15' as a precaution perhaps?

...I've only had one yoke O-ring failure underwater..

You need to re-watch your video, you had at least 2 failing during that dive, just not catastrophically.......yet

.....I have a lot of tanks and regs. It would be a pretty big deal to change everything over to DIN.

DIN's are one of those few items in SCUBA that are as close to failure proof as you can statistically get and they are basically cheap when you consider the "value" of your life. There is no justification for not making that change.....especially the way you dive.

Or that the boat would already have it hanging at 15' as a precaution perhaps?

We are drifting in a 2 kt current and often there is wind pushing the boat...also the boat may need to be able to maneuver to ward off other vessels that approach too closely. So hanging a tank off the stern is not practical for our situation, especially since the chance it will be needed is very low.

We keep the emergency bottle at the stern and set up and attached to a float with 25 ft of line on it. This allows the tank and float to be tossed over to the diver in an instant, if needed and it can't be lost if the diver misses it and the diver cannot take it too deep without really trying.

Dumpster,
Any airbreak or you went through the whole 80% continuosly?
Nice vídeo, gerat ending with the jellyfish!

just saw this question.. I took some air breaks, mostly to blow off CO2 and then back on the deco mix. What am I supposed to do?

What is the recommended cycling times for on and off the 80%?

Back
Top Bottom